Sign in to follow this  
purpleduck

Camphor laurel sapling - removal options

purpleduck

As the title says, I suspect we have a camphor laurel in the years, less than 2m tall.

Any chance I can just pull it up?? Or is one of those that creates suckers etc?

I’m guessing we will have to do a chemical treatment but wanted to check non-chemical options.

Thanks

ipsee

It won't create suckers, but the stump may regrow a few times.

If you can pull it out great. If you have to cut it off then paint poison on the stump straight away and then pull off any leaves you see growing back as soon as you see them. It will die eventually, especially in this hot dry weather, unless it is in a watered garden bed - if you you may have to poison a few times.

I put black plastic bags over some stumps, it mostly worked, but one stump regrew like crazy inside the bag...

Good luck - but if it is still smallish that is all to the good.

got my tinsel on

I know they damage the suppress native flora and can damage the environment but my goodness I love them.

Sob!

Sorry OP, I'm no help. I have such wonderful memories of the the camphor laurels around my childhood home. ( Wipes away tears).

• Like 1

ipsee

Camphor laurels are actually ok in a back yard I think - will get really big tho. But if it is a privet (very similar) it really needs to go, as it will self-seed all over the place and your neighbours will really hate you!

Paddlepop

It's regarded as an invasive weed in south east Queensland. Here's some info from the Qld Govt, including the most effective methods for killing the tree.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/65181/IPA-Camphor-Laurel-PP46.pdf

Info from Brisbane City Council:

https://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/weeds/camphor-laurel

There are some magnificent avenues of them in a suburb of Brisbane that are protected and not regarded as weeds because they're part of the character and identity of the area. They're very impressive.

purplekitty

I'd cut it down and paint the stem with glyphosate full strength.

PhillipaCrawford

Cut it down before it grows too big.

Our kinder had renovations a few years ago which necessitated removing a neighbours tree. She was happy to do it but the council arborist refused.

I was horrified when I looked into it and realised the toxicity of this tree overhanging our yard. Fortunately commonsense prevailed and the tree was removed ( and no kids had ever been poisoned playing with the berries)

We certainly didn't have any suckering once it was removed