purpleduck

So I just did a 12mth analysis of what we spent

born.a.girl

Don’t forget to consider its energy and water efficiency v what you can get now. Certainly there will be embedded energy, but many parts of a washing machine are recyclable and some old ones use a lot of water and electricity.

It's only six years old. :( Take your point that even in that time there will have been improvements in efficiencies.

Yes, the recycling of them does seem to be extensive now for whitegoods, which is something.

It's actually not even half the price. They same, but upgraded model is $719, delivered, installed, old one removed.

• Like 1

Dianalynch

It's only six years old. :( Take your point that even in that time there will have been improvements in efficiencies.

Yes, the recycling of them does seem to be extensive now for whitegoods, which is something.

It's actually not even half the price. They same, but upgraded model is $719, delivered, installed, old one removed.

Sucks doesn’t it, that planned obsolescence means a washing machine carks it after 6 years, and we’re better off replacing it. In your situation I would replace it, but the environmental impact would really annoy me too.

One day I might buy a commercial grade washing machine and dryer...

Edited by Dianalynch
  • Like 2

Dianalynch

We have tracked every dollar we’ve spent since we were married, dh finds spreadsheets soothing, otherwise it wouldn’t happen. I could tell you how much we spent on clothes in May 2012. It’s that weird.

With the kids in public school (no childcare!) and me working less, we spend the least we’ve ever spent. Mostly because I have more time - to prepare food, not maintaining a corporate wardrobe, no city parking, don’t buy coffee out, time to look for bargains, to plan ahead etc. We also downsized to a modern apartment and save a lot on home maintenance, much more than the body corporate fees.

Who knew going to work cost so much?

• Like 9

g_uzica

We have tracked every dollar we’ve spent since we were married, dh finds spreadsheets soothing, otherwise it wouldn’t happen. I could tell you how much we spent on clothes in May 2012. It’s that weird.

This is me, I have about 15 years of expenses categorised in Quicken and due to the investments I manage through the program I can use it as a tax deduction.

DH and I managed to change his coffee habit from 2 bought coffees a day to a couple of month by making him conscious of why he was buying the coffee, were there cheaper alternatives he was just as happy with, considering he was buying decaf coffees, it wasn't because of the coffee hit.

by changing some of these smaller habits it's surprising how much money you can save for and not feel deprived.

I'm forever thankful that someone posted about https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ here years ago. The first few years of blogs are the best and the forum is great to get investment and spending advice.

We're no where near as hardcore as a lot of people of the forum, but it helped to start the conversations about our spending and what we valued most. It's amazing how automated you become without realising it.

Edited by g_uzica
  • Like 1

Hands Up

We’ve recently reduced our expenses drastically due to a conscious decision for DH to go part time for the next couple of years at least. We downsized the house (mortgage), dropped the au pair, the daycare is cheaper and about to be zilch when the kids go to school next year. We shop at Aldi and are now much more conscious about frivolous spending.

Coffee does have its own line in our budget though. We’ve cut back but still spend almost $4,000 a year on coffee between us. It puts it in reality when you consider we spend more on coffee than we do on transport including public transport, petrol, rego, ctp and comprehensive car insurance combined!

• Like 4

WaitForMe

A friend of mine set up an account for what she called "lifestyle changers". Whenever she did something that saved money, she would transfer the amount into the account. So go a day without buying a coffee, thats $4 saved (or $8+ for some). Cycle to work, thats $8 saved on PT. Lunch from home, thats $15.

Then she could easily see how much she was saving and actually save it, rather than just mindlessly spend it on other things or not have that feeling that she is actually making any real difference with her small changes.

• Like 12

born.a.girl

We’ve recently reduced our expenses drastically due to a conscious decision for DH to go part time for the next couple of years at least. We downsized the house (mortgage), dropped the au pair, the daycare is cheaper and about to be zilch when the kids go to school next year. We shop at Aldi and are now much more conscious about frivolous spending.

Coffee does have its own line in our budget though. We’ve cut back but still spend almost $4,000 a year on coffee between us. It puts it in reality when you consider we spend more on coffee than we do on transport including public transport, petrol, rego, ctp and comprehensive car insurance combined!

In a way I don't think it matters what you spend on any one item, it's making a deliberate choice to spend that money, and knowing the cost in the long term - the time value of money and compounding.

I'm converting an old sexist saying here: they say a life without wine, lovers and song doesn't last as long; it's not true, it just seems longer. Gist is that no point in saving for a rainy day if you never know what that looks like for you.

After all, many of us spend that much on a holiday without thinking about it. For some people, takeaway coffee may be their little daily 'holiday'. If you really, really miss it, then it's a valid part of your choices.

I think that's the thing though (and we did this with wine when we had a few skint years, buying a bottle or two of $5 Dan Murphy rotgut per week), knowing what this costs over the years, and at retirement. Then still making that choice.

• Like 3

Hands Up

Yes that’s a good point BAG. Coffee makes us happy. It’s a key part of my morning routine before work. I don’t buy expensive handbags or shoes or much for myself at all really and neither does DH because that’s just not our way. This is our luxury.

• Like 6

Tinkle Splashes

I think my years of being a struggling single parent / student has really affected my attitude towards coffee. I just don’t get the sense of happiness from buying one that others do (plus I hate queues). We do have a very fancy coffee machine at work which I use a couple of times a day (and a less fancy one at home).

My DP buys a couple of coffees a day. He’s not extravagant in other spending on himself though, and our budget is fine, so I have no issue with it.

Beancat

With the kids in public school (no childcare!) and me working less, we spend the least we’ve ever spent. Mostly because I have more time - to prepare food, not maintaining a corporate wardrobe, no city parking, don’t buy coffee out, time to look for bargains, to plan ahead etc. We also downsized to a modern apartment and save a lot on home maintenance, much more than the body corporate fees.

Who knew going to work cost so much?

You are so right....there is a real cost to working that creeps up on us and it is substantial. I remember when I went on half pay mat leave and were panicking that we couldn't do it....we were perfectly fine. All of the things you mention...the coffees, clothing dry cleaning etc PLUS having the time to properly shop, cook and clean yourself means this money is not going out every week. Oh and don't get me started about the parking, tolls and petrol. I would happily pack up, sell our $1.2m house and move more regional and work limited hours to improve our life and live off DPs salary...but he wont do it

Edited for spelling

Edited by Beancat
  • Like 2

Charli73

Look for something about downloading into a CSV file. It stands for Comma Separated Value, Excel can open it.

If you tell us what bank you are with there is probably someone here who can give you instructions.

With westpac. I recall there being that function somewhere I will figure it out.

Thank you :)

Dianalynch

You are so right....there is a real cost to working that creeps up on us and it is substantial. I remember when I went on half pay mat leave and were panicking that we couldn't do it....we were perfectly fine. All of the things you mention...the coffees, clothing dry cleaning etc PLUS having the time to properly shop, cook and clean yourself means this money is not going out every week. Oh and don't get me started about the parking, tolls and petrol. I would happily pack up, sell our $1.2m house and move more regional and work limited hours to improve our life and live off DPs salary...but he wont do it

Edited for spelling

I would live regionally in a heartbeat, sadly no work opportunities for dh there. Or me either come to think of it.

IamOzgirl

I would live regionally in a heartbeat, sadly no work opportunities for dh there. Or me either come to think of it.

Me too. But equally worried about later years and being isolated.

MadMarchMasterchef

It could be worth writing a strongly worded letter to the manufacturers and see if they will knock the price of the part down. ACL is pretty good these days.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

It could be worth writing a strongly worded letter to the manufacturers and see if they will knock the price of the part down. ACL is pretty good these days.

Thanks,iInterestingly, the repair place is contacting the mf on my behalf, because the part that is needed, is now covered by a ten year warranty with any machine being sold now.

Bushlander

What's his is mine and what's mine is his. Everything is joint and we can see what the other one is doing with their credit card.

I account for every transaction at the end of every month. Tedious and time consuming, but so worth it. Our accountant told us to keep every single receipt (coffee, haircuts, groceries, work) so as soon as I get the receipt home I write on it what it was for (category = medical, alcohol, groceries, regos, car fuel, kids, vehicle repairs, school). Yes, I break it right down to the nitty gritty. I also include all loans (like kids' home tutor and solar panel system loan) so we can see how much we'll be able to pocket when they're paid out. Then at the end of the month I reconcile all the receipts with the bank statement and then add up each category and add that to my spreadsheet.

At the end of 12 months I can see how much we've spent on the kids, alcohol for the hubster, how much we've wasted on take-away, water rates - it's interesting to see. Our biggest money suckers are the mortgage, groceries, rates and water.

Silverstreak

Yep, we do this at least once a year, so we can do business figures. That's how we worked out we spend more a year on groceries than we do on rent!

Electricity is a big expense, even with pay on time discounts. I'm always pleased when we're in Spring and Autumn, so don't need to use the heater/air conditioner too much!