Sign in to follow this  
Starflash

Seeking recommendations for personal alarm

Starflash

Hi Brains Trust! I'm researching these for a grandparent, cognitively intact but frail and falling, living alone and we are not nearby. Sydney metro area.

Any experienced advice? Recommendations?

And one specific tech question - do the monitored services talk through the pendant, or through the base unit?

lucky 2

Mepac alarm.

We used it with mum and dad and I know a service that uses that uses Mepac personal alarms for staff when they are off site, doing home visits.

Mum wore one around her neck, it's water proof should never be taken off. You can also wear it on your wrist.

Starflash

Thanks! What happens though if they're not right next to the base unit though, how can they possibly communicate in that case?

WaitForMe

The newer Apple watches can sense when someone falls and automatically call the ambulance and notify emergency contacts.

https://www.apple.co...-watch-series-5

I've wondered how these systems compare to the Apple Watch these days.

gruidae

Edited by gruidae

WaitForMe

They will send an ambulance and phone the family point of contact anyway. Before my mum went into care, she had a fall in the bathroom and activated her Vitalcall pendant. The base unit was in the kitchen so they couldn't hear her or she them. They sent the ambos and contacted me anyway. It's a good service.

Do they have to be within range of the base unit though? So for instance if my mum took her dog for a walk.

lucky 2

With Mepac you can opt for home or home+out and about.

Mum had one for home, it covered the front and back yard, she was always accompanied on outings.

When she collapsed, dad pressed the alarm, he returned to the base but he is deaf and has dementia so they sent an ambulance straight away because they could work out what was happening.

Mum would occasionally press it accidentally and they would ask if she was ok.

gruidae

Edited by gruidae

crocodilessnap

Thanks! What happens though if they're not right next to the base unit though, how can they possibly communicate in that case?

My grandmother has a vitalcall and I was there while it was being installed and tested and the base unit can detect her voice at standard volume from pretty much any corner of her house. Its limited outside but she has close neighbours who would hear/see if it was needed.

The unit my grandmother has is for at home only but there are options for when they leave home as well, though we haven't looked into those as yet

got my tinsel on

My mum had Vitalcall alarm. They tested it by having her walk to the furthest part of her yard, the microphone is pretty good, I can tell you. If however they can't hear her, they will call the designated contact person and/or ambulance.

As my mum lived down the road from me, we had her house key in a specific place in our front yard that the ambos would have been told about so that they could access her house if she was incapacitated and I was too far away from home to open the house for them.

I can't remember whether it was on a weekly or monthly basis, but the wearer would presses the alarm for testing on a regular basis to make sure that the system is still working. They press, it dials up the call centre, they answer, wearer says just testing, all good.

I thought it worked very well.

PS. to answer another question - they talk through the base unit. It is very loud. An alarm goes off first - also very loud, so neighbours may hear it if outside. The base unit will pick up the wearers voice even if quite a distance away (approx. 40-50metres) even if the wearer's voice is faint.

Edited by gettin my fance on