Riotproof

Pop sugar challenge 2020

Riotproof

10. I’ve started a lot but had no focus. I do better with actual books over ebooks but I’m just starting so many and not finishing. 

• Like 1

Lunagirl

Hmmm. Binge read some Babysitter Club books to get your numbers up? They would fit a few of the prompts!

• Haha 1

Riotproof

I will have a think about it. I’d actually have to get some. 

• Like 1

Lunagirl

My library has some available as ebooks, if that’s an option. I read a few the other night, hence the suggestion!

Lou-bags
Posted (edited)

Well I feel like I'm slowly getting my reading mojo back so I'm here... and have just spent a few minutes shoehorning what I've read so far into the prompts (only 2 of these books I actually chose specifically to match the prompt).

• A book about or involving social media: Fake, Stephanie Wood (it's not specifically about social media, but she met her guy on a dating site, and she uses social media for various parts of her research of him etc throughout)
  • A book that won an award in 2019: Too Much Lip, Melissa Lucashenko (Miles Franklin 2019)
  • A book with at least a four-star rating on Goodreads: Joe Cinque’s Consolation, Helen Garner 
  • A book by or about a journalist: The Suspect, Fiona Barton (Fiona Barton was a journalist, AND one of the main characters in the book is a journo)
  • A book set in a city that has hosted the Olympics: Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovich (not sure if I'll keep this for this prompt, may move it later)

Anyone got any ideas for how I can get Normal People to meet any of the prompts? ;) I'm so behind on my reading!

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 1

Riotproof
Posted (edited)

Normal people could be a Bildungsroman. Characters are in their 20s for a lot of it, so advanced prompt. Does your birthday happen to be April? 
I wonder if there has been a movie/tv show that is unrelated. 

oh look there is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277928/

Edited by Riotproof
  • Like 1

Lunagirl

Normal People could also fit author in their 20s, if you're doing the advanced prompts.

• Like 1

Riotproof

So, after that thought @Lunagirl, I found a website with lots of babysitters club books available as text free. And just read Kristy’s great idea for a book on the cover. Thank you!

• Like 1

Riotproof

I went to the library and borrowed some books for prompts. 
star struck by Minnie Dark as one I meant to read last year 

Love at first like by someone which can also be a pun or social media

The second Becky chambers one for ai prompt. 

Riotproof

I finished Such a fun age by Kiley Reid. 

I am using it for a book by a woc, but it could also be a character in their 20’s.  It has also been recommended by Reece Witherspoons bookclub. 
and is a debut from last years prompts. 

Really such a compelling book, I really liked it a lot. It’s one for the bookshelf not the street library. 

• Like 1

Lunagirl

There's a few books, including Such a Fun Age, that I have held off on because I want to get to the bookshop and buy a physical copy rather than an ebook or borrow. Might see if I can get there tomorrow.

Riotproof

I really enjoyed it. Read it in a few days. 
I’m sure it has a few flaws. Someone complained about clunky non realistic dialogue in reviews, but it got me thinking about lots of things. Would be a great bookclub book. 

• Like 1

Riotproof

I finished Love at first Like by Hannah Orenstein and I’m going to say Don’t bother. 
either for social media or pun. I don’t have another option lined up for either of those prompts. 

next I think is the Becky Chambers one for AI. I really enjoyed the first one on her series, so I have high hopes. 

• Like 1

Riotproof

So I finished Becky Chambers, and apparently number 3 is due out soon. Very exciting and I really enjoyed it. But the time/perspective changes were hard at first. 

• Like 1

sunsaboveitreya

Riotproof, Was that 'A Closed & Common Orbit', from her Wayfarers series? The third book is already published, came out in March last year.
I finished the third book, Record of a Spaceborn Few,  a few days ago, the fourth comes out in February. I really loved the first, the second wasn’t too bad, and the third was enjoyable.

I’m down to 10 books left in the challenge, with only one prompt undecided (book written by an author in their 20s).

Today I just started on:

• Truelife by Jay Kristoff (first book  you touch on a shelf with eyes closed)
  • Gods of Jade & Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (book set in 1920s)
  • Like 2

Riotproof

Oh you are right! I should look and see if our library has the third one. 

• Like 1

Lunagirl

A book where the title caught your attention - The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee

Favourite prompt from a previous Popsugar Challenge (the next in a series you're reading): The Dazzling Heights by Katharine McGee

These books are essentially Gossip Girl set 100+ years into the future when Manhattan is now a 1000-floor tower. There's a third one to conclude the trilogy (The Towering Sky) but I couldn't fit it into any of my remaining prompts.

A book set in a city that has hosted the Olympics - I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman (set in London). I read this after @kimasa recommended this author in another thread. I liked it. Another young adult read, this one centred on a fan of a boy band. It had some smart things to say about fandom and fame. 

• Like 2

Riotproof
On 04/08/2020 at 4:26 PM, Riotproof said:

Oh you are right! I should look and see if our library has the third one. 

Alas, they do not. Hopefully they will think of it soon. I think with all the Covid stuff, they are really looking at electronic resources a lot more atm. 

I’m reading Star Crossed by Minnie Darke, which atm is only okay. I’m using it for a book I meant to read last year, I had it marked down for the astrology/astronomy prompt but I read something else. Main female character is a bit urgh, I’m hoping she starts growing up a bit soon. 

• Like 1