Pink opal

How not to waste money on KK gifts

Pink opal

Hi

The adults in my family have decided to do a kris kringle this year. The limit is $100 but it is a generic gift which you can then do a 'swap/steal' thing with, not buying for a particular individual. I am keen to find something which while generic will be well used/wanted. Any ideas? Participants are male and female from their 20s to 60s.

UndergroundKelpie

$100 worth of chocolate blocks from the supermarket!

• Like 8

Newbutoldish

I’d go voucher

• Like 1

warriorsfan

A $100 note.

• Like 7

José

Wine!

Or what about nice towels.? Could be beach towels or regular nice towels.

José

$100 worth of chocolate blocks from the supermarket!

Chocolate isn't s bad idea but I'd spend $100 on some nicer than supermarket chocolate.

Also depends on where/ how you do xmas. If it will be exposed to heat it will be a molten mess.

Blossom11

A pack with gold class tickets, chocolate, wine, a latest book etc or an experience - have a look at red balloon or scoopon for ideas.

You could pick a theme like beach, gym, food and build a present around that. Food - get some different sauces/spices etc.

• Like 11

JBH

Usually those things have a “no voucher”’rule. A few ideas:

- really good quality umbrella

- piece of luggage (like this from Samsonite: https://www.luggagedirect.com.au/brands/samsonite-luggage/samsonite-b-lite-4/samsonite-blite-4-carry-on-bag-black-125109.html )

- a bottle of really good olive oil and a bottle of real balsamic vinegar

- a cook book with a piece of cooking equipment like a cake tin, or one of the classic (and expensive) cook books like Stephanie Alexander’s Cook’s Companion

• Like 7

Ivy Ivy

Headphones? 1-2 good quality hardcover books? Good wine or a bottle of spirits? A good quality pillow?

Luci

We do this in my family as well. I bought 2 lovely beach towels from Sheridan.

• Like 1

Feral-as-Meggs

Something you want and no one else does, that costs $100.

• Like 28

zenkitty

A cookbook with some nice spices or condiments - my SIL bought me an Ottolenghi cookbook (Simple) with a bunch of hard to find spices that feature in the recipes.

A teapot with a lovely tea selection, someone will probably be a tea drinker.

Aesop products - too expensive for many to justify buying themselves but beautiful to use and gender neutral.

ETA: just thinking of gifts I have found unexpectedly useful, digital kitchen scales are something I never knew I needed but use all the time. Also a good quality wooden chopping board - use it every day, nice and heavy.

Edited by zenkitty
  • Like 3

JRA

Hi

The adults in my family have decided to do a kris kringle this year. The limit is $100 but it is a generic gift which you can then do a 'swap/steal' thing with, not buying for a particular individual. I am keen to find something which while generic will be well used/wanted. Any ideas? Participants are male and female from their 20s to 60s.

Easy, tell them it is a bloody stupid idea

• Like 14

Lesley225

I think it's hard with that much money and swapping going on.

I wouldn't like towels as I only like one colour and particular kinds.

I like the Aesop idea i could never justify it.

Much easier for a person at that price.

eponee

Wine!

Or what about nice towels.? Could be beach towels or regular nice towels.

Towels are boring

• Like 4

Hands Up

We do this in my family as well. I bought 2 lovely beach towels from Sheridan.

That was exactly what I did last year too and because they were on sale I bought a 1 litre pump pack of sunscreen for sensitive skin. Our budget also is $100.

I like the idea this year of a double gold class pass or really good quality olive oil and balsamic or an amazing bottle of wine.

• Like 2

Luci

Towels are boring

Well I guess my family and I are all boring people! We have been doing the KK for ages & a few years ago one of the gifts was 2 navy & white striped beach towels from Country Road & several people wanted them.

• Like 4

Babetty

We got given Sheridan beach towels as a present once - never would have spent that much money on beach towels myself but love them.

• Like 2

gracie1978

https://m.countryroad.com.au/shop/woman/accessories/handbags/60248816-115/Textured-Tote-Bag.html

CR have 25% off you could add wine or chocolate.

DP's family did one and it was surprisingly successful. $50 limit and everyone put a lot of thought in and there were some cool gifts.

Except from the MIL, she gifted a set of the ugliest spoons you've ever seen, suspect she had them in a cupboard somewhere.

She was outraged when she ended up with them (they were the least popular gift) and demanded someone swap with her. No one did ;)

• Like 4

Chelara

Pizza board and cutter- I’ve seen locally made round pizza boards that you can personalise.

Board games.

Restaurant voucher if you’re all in the same area or next years entertainment book plus some wine.

DVDs, popcorn, fancy movie mix from Haighs.

Coffee beans and loose leaf tea plus a fruit cake or fancy biscuits.

A soda stream maker.

• Like 2

LightPink

Lotto gift pack, bottle of wine, chocolate

$100 worth of scratchies lol attach them to a cheap wreath for novelty wrapping up

Bluetooth speakers

If in the same sort of area a Red Balloon Resturant experience, gets around a no gift cards rule if it’s a specific thing

You’re not going to get something to appeal to everyone for that age group, I’d just try to get something that you know would appeal to a few, it’ll still get stolen & fun had.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

Wireless bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth speaker. Maybe a spotify subscription too.

• Like 5