froglett

Book suggestions for DS 7 years

froglett

Keen for some book recommendations for DS (aged 7 / end of year 1). He's a reasonable reader (I think level 24 NSW?) and has just finished the Bad Guys series.

Santa wants to get him some books that will suck in him for the Christmas holidays - reading is about the only thing that keeps him still for 5 seconds.

Can anyone share what their kids are into? Thanks :)

cheshire_cat

Cressida Cowell!

The Dragons books and Wizards of Once. Excellent books!

• Like 2

Magic treehouse series?

Jenflea

First harry potter book, but you might have to read to him.

Ahn Do books are popular

Maybe a non fiction book on dinosaurs or space or whatever he's into.

Riotproof

Around that age, ds loved Captain Underpants.

Dav Pilkey, also had a few other books that he liked.

Ben Hatke Mighty Jack series is very good. Graphic novel, so not that much text but a good story.

He might also be ready for the treehouse series by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton.

Also, if he is interested in science and non fiction, the Ripleys books are good, plus kids national geographic big book of why, space, animals etc.

• Like 1

#notallcats

I agree with all the suggestions so far... mine love/d Bad Guys and also Captain Underpants, Treehouse series, Ahn Do, Wimpy Kid, maybe Goosebumps (can be a bit scary).

• Like 2

LucyGoose

My kids love the anh do books - weirdo, hot dog and ninja kid, they are all easy reads and suitable for that age. I think Ninja kid is slightly more text.

The treehouse books.

Roald Dahl - my DD is in grade 2 and has been reading through these this year - James and the giant peach, BFG, Fantastic Mr Fox etc.

• Like 2

Orangecake

In addition to the ones mentioned, dogman has a cult following here. Fact books are popular too

CrankyM

The dragon series mentioned up thread might be a bit hard for him yet, maybe not so much in decoding the text but understanding what is going on. They are also text heavy compared to the ones you have mentioned.

I'd recommend, An Do (Weir Do or Hot dog series, Ninja Kid if he is fine with more text), Captain Underpants, Dogman would likely be a hit if he loves Bad Guys, the 13 story tree house (Andy Griffiths), the funny kid series, Tom Gates books, the tom Weekly series, Toto the ninja cat, Real pigeons is a graphic novel series similar to Bad Guys.

Non fiction wise mine like books like the Answers to 1001 questions, Why the earth needs the moon and other facts, Why you can't feel the earth spinning,

• Like 1

Dianalynch

Ds is on the same reader level, and he enjoys anh do ninja kid and weir do (he’s moved on from hot dog)

Loved the treehouse series and he rereads them

Liked the Tashi series

He’s shown some interest in Roald Dahl and famous five

MGB

My son likes Captain underpants, Ninja Kid, Hot dog

Bearynice

THat age was all about silly funny reading! Hot dog, ninja kid, capt underpants, weirdo,

Zac power - cool spy with gadgets

Boy vs beast

Roald Dahl

Pokemon books

Behind Hazel Eyes

Ds 4.5 and DD 6.5 both love the tree house books, captain underpants and dog man and Rainbow Magic, a series of fairy books by daisy meadows.

CG123

Sorry haven’t read all replies, so sorry for double ups...

Weirdo

Captain Underpants

13th Story Treehouse

Bad Guys

Dog Man

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Hot Dogs

Roald Dahl

Enid Blyton

David Walliams

Read together-

Harry Potter

Percy Jackson

AnythingGoes

Following for ideas for sane age/level DS!

Another vote for the magic treehouse and the story treehouse series. Ds is a big fan of both.

He also really enjoyed the Marge in Charge books by Isla Fisher.

BeAwesome

My 7 year old DD's favourite is Dog Man, she also likes Captain Underpants, the Treehouse books, Wimpy Kid, and similar mentioned above.

A less known series she enjoys is Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel. The first book in the series was a picture book, but it turned into a chapter book series at a reading level similar too those above. Even my 11 year old who these days is reading upper middle/YA books will come back and read them sometimes.

froglett

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! We got the book club catalogue the other day and it’s got an Anh Do pack in it (I think hot dog?) so might try that to start with. It seems like this year he’s really fallen in love with reading so I really want to encourage it.

We’ve listened to David Walliams and Roald Dahl audio books on road trips so might get a couple of those books too.

Will definitely bookmark this thread for future :)

• Like 2