Sign in to follow this  
CoffeeGuy

Big vs little Childcare

MadMarchMasterchef

Unfortunately I live in the state with the highest proportion of centres which don't meet National Quality Standards. It's related to better employment opportunities here so it's harder to find good quality and consistent staff.

One centre I work with has been advertising for an early childhood teacher for 6 months with no success. So they have no teacher in the whole centre and the Kinder room, which should have a proper preschool program, is staffed by a revolving door of casuals.

I would say that how a centre does in their ratings does seem to correlate with how good they are in practise. Anecdotally of course.

Apologies for derailing the OP. It sounded like there was nothing at all wrong with the centre you visited.

That definately doesnt sound like the best for the kids, I can understand why you would avoid that.

I have a few friends who work in childcare and Im pretty confident our local ones are pretty good - our employment is terrible so maybe thats why!

MsLaurie

Sounds like you’ve already chosen, but just another vote here for big centres. Both my girls have gone to large chain daycares from when they were little, and we have been very happy with them. The babies rooms have very high ratios, and are nearly always calm and lovely. Toddler rooms a bit more chaotic, but in fabulous ways that I certainly couldn’t replicate at home- keep the painting and mud play for daycare please!

IamtheMumma

I used FDC initially but after 3 weeks of not having childcare due to illness (chicken pox from memory), I switched to a childcare centre. I felt rotten for the woman but it was also my job on the line.

I wouldn't be signing up anywhere at the moment as the baby is still in his mother's care. Until she says here he's all yours, you're in limbo land.

If you put an application in now, which gets accepted, you're liable for full fees regardless of whether you have the child or not. You'll need to give two weeks notice to get rid of the days. There won't be any CCS applicable for that time either.

More cheese Gromit

I used family day care as well, if I had my time over I would use a big centre

The biggest problem was when the carer was sick, the only replacements they could offer were so far away that it wasn’t truly an option so I would have to take time off work

Bearynice

I think if you don’t have back up support ( eg. Grandma, Aunty ) that could step in to care for baby if family day care unavailable for some reason, I would choose bigger centre.