123Babies4Me

9yo son pulling hair out

123Babies4Me

My son started pulling his hair out earlier this year. He is now doing it constantly, sometimes with both hands, and has given himself numerous bald spots. I have cut his hair very short on occasion but as soon as its long enough he starts again.

I have an appt with a psych in Jan (earliest I could get) - they book him once a week for six weeks.

I'm not sure how to help him. He does seem to struggle with anxiety and regulating his emotions at times, but is also quite bright, makes friends easily, and enjoys lots of things. He has had some change in his life e.g. moving school and house, and is also the eldest of five siblings so perhaps some of these things play into it.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before?

CrankyM

this behaviour actually has a specific term and is commonly associated with anxiety. You can seem normal and be bright and social and still be highly anxious. It doesn’t always present as people think it should.

My child (almost 11) has done this on and off since he was around 6. It means anxiety is peaking and he is attempting to regulate/calm himself. It’s a type of self soothing (he also used to bite his own arm on occasion). Unfortunately the behaviour becomes ingrained and we needed to redirect soothing toward activities that don’t cause harm. We’ve used a number of different things over the year from breathing, to stress balls, to music. The only way we have managed to get it under control is by dealing with the underlying issues causing the anxiety. And my child also takes medication that helps with anxiety. It still appears at times. I would ring the psych’s office and see if you can’t get on the cancellation list.

There is a great image floating around at the moment on FB which gives some idea of ways anxiety can present.

• Like 1

José

i wonder if the psychologist youre booked in to see might put you on a cancellation list so you might get started a little sooner?

• Like 1

Pooks_

You need to see a paediatrician as well. I have heard very positive stories about anti-anxiety medication resolving this issue quickly after extended efforts with talk therapy.

• Like 1

CrankyM

You need to see a paediatrician as well. I have heard very positive stories about anti-anxiety medication resolving this issue quickly after extended efforts with talk therapy.

Yeah, to be honest it’s the the combo that works for my kiddo.

• Like 1

2020selfcare

My youngest primary school aged daughter was doing this behaviour pulling her hair out in bits and pieces it was terrible. I kept asking her if anything was wrong until one of my friends pointed out is she being sexually abused??

I then asked my daughter is anyone touching or hurting her on her private parts. My daughter bursted into tears and said there has been two of other girls in her class where they go to girls toilet and one of them starts touching there private’s, my daughter said she didn’t like it but felt pressured to stand there to have this done to her. I was in shock, I remained calm and the next day we went straight to school to talk to the teacher. It soon stopped as the girls got spoken too, my daughter was happy that finally after a few months of keeping it in that the secret was out of what one girl was doing to her and another girl. My daughter knew it was wrong but really liked these girls especially perpetrator. Anyway the girl that was doing this was further investigated.