Sign in to follow this  
lovedupmumma

Allergic Reaction?

lovedupmumma

My DS (6 years) has had issues with recurrent impetago (Dr says his nose is populated with it and he's yet to develop antibodies). He was looking a bit pink around the mouth yesterday, but I didn't think much of it.

This morning it was worse and itchy, so I assumed impetago and started applying the cream he has been prescribed. Unlike other times, he said the cream stung, and the whole area looked red and angry after the cream went on. Then I noticed his neck was a bit blotchy and puffy too, and his bottom lip was a bit swollen.

I took some pictures and gave him an antihistamine, and while it hasn't gone it's certainly settled down. So I'm now thinking it's a reaction to something.

We would always joke he'd better not develop a peanut allergy, because he eats it 2-3 times a day and loves it so much. But I know it's not unheard of to develop a reaction later to to something they haven't had an issue with before.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Dianalynch

I’d go to a dr and get a referral to an allergy clinic for testing. I have adult onset allergies and my reaction has ramped up over time. I’d avoid any food you suspect until testing and keep antihistamines on hand. Ask the dr how many you can give him if there is a reaction, and also the best types to take.

Good luck, allergy can be really scary. Take it very seriously.

lovedupmumma

Thanks, I'll book in to our GP to see about testing. He is our third child, but allergies are uncharted territory for us.