CoffeeGuy

Navigating Child Care Subsidy

Mrs Claus

Let’s be honest, we’d all love to pay less in childcare if we could. Whilst I agree both the OP and mum could do with some real life practical help, I don’t see the OP as trying to ‘make’ money- just looking for ways to make what he has go further for his and his sons sake

• Like 2

Murderino

I mean he actually posted he’d have $7k more than he spends. That seems like eyeing a profit.

• Like 4

Mrs Claus

I mean he actually posted he’d have $7k more than he spends. That seems like eyeing a profit.

Or there’s extra money for the stuff you can’t really budget for - surprise doctors visits etc

• Like 1

#notallcats

You yourself suggested something is wrong with him?! You cant have it both ways.

Not fitting the norm, doesn't mean something is wrong with him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

~Jolly_F~

Not fitting the norm, doesn't mean something is wrong with him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

Saying someone doesnt fit the norm means exactly that but people think its a polite way to say it, the underlying message is something is wrong with that person. I have heard it enough over the years.

I think agreeing to disagree is probably for the best.

#notallcats

I mean he actually posted he’d have $7k more than he spends.

On childcare! He will still have expenses that exceeds the $7,000 he receives in benefits.

The OP is concerned about finances, it's really smart he is. Just because he posts about the practical stuff, it does not mean he won't nurture and care for the baby.

• Like 2

#notallcats

Saying someone doesnt fit the norm means exactly that but people think its a polite way to say it, the underlying message is something is wrong with that person. I have heard it enough over the years.

That is absolutely not true. If I thought there was something wrong with the OP, I'd join the rest of you. HIs actions, words may not fit the average/norm of the rest of (your) society, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Edited by #notallcats

Mose

Some people are injecting unnecessary pessimistic imagination into this thread about childcare and child care subsidy.

Some how organizing childcare so I pay $96.25 or less instead of $235.585 per week for childcare (a saving of $7245.42 per year) is seen as some devious scheme.

Some are always looking for something to latch onto and get mad about. No need for this.

I have some child care visits lined up this week, I'll see what happens.

Not sure about anyone else, but it was the comment about having children with someone else if you can't raise your son that I found a bit confronting.

Look, a child being abandoned by either parent is a big thing, for parent and child. Your best way to manage it is by accessing the best possible support services to help you navigate a less than ideal situation.

In the last thread, someone pointed you to support services in Newcastle. Have you accessed these services? They are there to help you get the best possible outcomes for your child, and can often also advise on the financial aspects too.

~Jolly_F~

That is absolutely not true. If I thought there was something wrong with the OP, I'd join the rest of you. HIs actions, words may not fit the average/norm of the rest of (your) society, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Maybe you didnt mean it like that but I can assure you when its said 99% of the time that is exactly what it means.

• Like 1

ainira

OP, have you looked into the support services PPs have referred you to or dropped into MACH clinics for advice?

Edited by Sandra
Bringing other threads in to this one

Sandra

Hi everyone

Please do not derail this thread and please do not bring other threads in to this one.

regards

Freddie'sMum

The common denominator in the threads the OP starts are financial - how can the OP do X - with respect to his baby son - by the cheapest way possible.

• Like 3

Silverstreak

Hi Coffee Guy. I think you need to get legal advice regarding your rights if various scenarios occur, e.g. if your ex partner disappears, reappears, wants to take the child interstate etc. It all sounds a bit up in the air on her side. It also sounds as though she needs intensive support. Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread.

• Like 2

butterfly_123

Both you and the Mum need to contact Family Services (or whatever it is called) and ask for real life help. NOW.

Your son is not a puppy that can be replaced. He is here now, he exists and he needs either mum and / or dad to step up to the plate and look after him - full time - with all that entails - and most importantly - with help. Practical help.

It sounds like the mum has reached the end of her tether - she desperately needs help too. So do you.

Your posts come across as someone who has been asked to look after someone else's PET - and it's an inconvenience to you. This is your son - your flesh and blood - you need to stop thinking about how you can spin this so you don't get financially inconvenienced - this is freaking parenthood. You don't get to cherry pick the parts that you like - for the love of all that is holy in this world - GET REAL LIFE HELP NOW - for the sake of your baby.

FMD.

Wow. This is really mean.

OP is asking for advice. Trying to run by his ideas/calculations by other parents for advice. He's a new Dad. Give him a break

• Like 2

Behind Hazel Eyes

Finance is the common denominator and its obviously important to the OP. But he may be posting about that because it feels like something he can control in a stressful situation. It may be something to focus on to keep other feelings at bay. I find some of the posts concerning too, especially saying he can just have more kids if his X comes back after moving and wants baby full time. But that could be his flippant way of saying he'd survive that. Of minimising his feelings around it happening. He's trying to reach out, he could have said no to taking the baby, he doesn't have to. So I'd think he does feel attachment and care for the baby.

• Like 4

butterfly_123

As parents, whether we are Mum or Dad, don't we all get concerned about finances? I know I do. OP is asking questions, asking advice, researching options with childcare etc. so he can prepare the best he can for providing for himself and his son.

There are so many threads on this forum of parents, well mostly mothers, asking advice about budgeting, finances etc. they mostly get helpful, supportive advice.

So many PP's are giving great advice to the OP, in a kind way. But some PP's are just nasty. If you can't offer support or advice why bother posting? Just move on

• Like 3

born.a.girl

Most of his threads do seem a little bizarrely focused on financials, right down to the cost per day of low cost items. As per pps, though, that may be his way of controlling a situation he has very little control over.

Also, plenty of us didn't bond with our babies straight away. He's only had one weekend. I can't imagine the panic I would have felt suddenly looking after a five month old baby for ?48 hours, with no prior experience.

The thread about the care for the weekend expressed only a desire to do the right thing, and be guided by advice here. Money was never mentioned.

Given that money was not once mentioned in the thread of the weekend he had him in his care, that's a very good sign.

• Like 2

overlytired

Isn't that called "savings", and what most people aim to have?

• Like 1

Hollycoddle

Some, but to my knowledge not that many.

Anyway, op you might be better off looking at family daycare for say 6 hours a day. Use the centrelink calculator, it's usually not far off if you've got all the info it needs, get the info for a long day care centre and a family daycare if there's one you can use, try a few scenarios

Agree with this. 8 and 10 hour day rates still aren't feasible when all he needs is half a day as that's all he works and gets paid for.

Hollycoddle

Still I'd rather raise my son as I want to have children. If she takes him I'll just have to try having children with someone else.

She can't just take him unless you let her. You see it all the time, so many men giving up and not bothering with the legal process because it's all too hard then moving onto the next and having the same thing happen when the new relationship goes awry. It's the kids that suffer, so many people can't put the interests of their kids first when it comes to relationship breakdowns.

Let go of partnering and hold onto parenting. It does look like you're trying to do this OP but follow the advice of PPs and get legal advice ASAP. if you aren't already (sorry if you are, I've just glossed over the thread).

Edited by Mollycoddle
  • Like 1

CoffeeGuy

Agree with this. 8 and 10 hour day rates still aren't feasible when all he needs is half a day as that's all he works and gets paid for.

A few hours to my self, for chores, relaxation, a nap will probably be well worth the low cost of a few more hours.

Visited local childcare this morning and they offer minimum 9 hour day which fits 100 hour limit on child care subsidy. Cost comes to $70.47 per week :thumbs: or $3664.44 per year. This is very affordable and a great outcome.

It was delightful seeing the children at the childcare, can't wait to have my son.

--

Child care lady said I should apply for child care subsidy as soon as possible.

I am on the centrelink website applying for parenting payment, family tax benefit a+b and child care subsidy.

Centrelink wants to know that I have my child with me right now so it seems I can't preemptively apply. I don't have him for a couple weeks. Should I apply the instant I have my son in my care to ensure I get back pay for processing time?

Edited by CoffeeGuy

CoffeeGuy

She can't just take him unless you let her.

I hope that is the case. Best case scenario the mother won't try to take him away.

One fellow at work was looking after his children while the mother was off having drug fueled bender and once the centrelink payments dried up for her she kidnapped the children after school. Now he pays her $21,000 a year in child support and gets to see them about 1-2 times a year if he travels hundreds of kilometers to see them. This is despite paying $17,000+ in legal fees that never got to court. This is terrible situation for him I feel sorry for him to have his children taken away and money taken away to rub salt in the wounds.

I hope everything goes much better for me.

Just Jack

I hope that is the case. Best case scenario the mother won't try to take him away.

One fellow at work was looking after his children while the mother was off having drug fueled bender and once the centrelink payments dried up for her she kidnapped the children after school. Now he pays her $21,000 a year in child support and gets to see them about 1-2 times a year if he travels hundreds of kilometers to see them. This is despite paying $17,000+ in legal fees that never got to court. This is terrible situation for him I feel sorry for him to have his children taken away and money taken away to rub salt in the wounds.

Take everything anyone says to you about the Family Court and breakups etc with a grain of salt.

• Like 6

born.a.girl

He's not paying money to her, he's paying for the children that he had.

I wouldn't put too much store in one-sided stories of men badly done by, by women - usually the truth is much more nuanced.

You do need to protect yourself with parenting orders though (or whatever they're called). Plenty here are experts on that. Might be worthwhile starting a thread specifically for that.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

Centrelink wants to know that I have my child with me right now so it seems I can't preemptively apply. I don't have him for a couple weeks. Should I apply the instant I have my son in my care to ensure I get back pay for processing time?

Absolutely - most claims with Centrelink apply from the application date. Some claims can take ages, too, so don't assume you'll have the benefit quickly.