Sign in to follow this  
Lifesgood

Ideas please - 9 y/o boy gifts

Lifesgood

Help! My DS is having a 9th birthday party shortly and people are asking for gift ideas for him. I'm stumped. He isn't into anything apart from playing on the iPad. I have asked one person to get him books from a new series we are trying out. What else?

Guidelines are:

- must be inexpensive ($15-30)

- must be small in size (no large boxes/plastic crap)

- no Lego (he hates it)

**Xena**

My son's usually just like EB gift cards or money and books. I found from around that age my kids were more interested in saving for a good quality item than in lots of little presents.

*BellBird*

Books here, board games, paper aeroplane & other flying craft. The Klutz people make lots of good stuff. DS really loves where’s Wally at the moment too. Stuff like Ts & hats can be a good present for kids that age & can be in the price range.

Poughkeepsie

Sports equipment?

JBH

I asked my son of similar age what he would like and he said - Slime, glitter gel pens, a Rubik’s cube, and as many tech decks as possible.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

PJs, T shirts, cool socks, wallets, sunglasses, hoodies etc

BECZ

Would he use a Meccano set? You can get some basic ones under $30.

Otherwise cubes beyond the basic 3x3. There are lots out there these days.

Smoo

Have you considered using one of the gift contribution apps and asking for contributions to one big present? I think purposit is one of the bigger ones.

We're struggling with DS - we got 3 of the same present this year so we're looking at doing that for his next birthday.

SplashingRainbows

My 9yo has just devoured the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series. As in read 13 books in 13 days.

So possibly that may be a hit if he hasn’t read it already.

Gift cards / movie tickets

Colouring / drawing stuff

Science stuff? Like from National Geographic

Paper aeroplane making kits. My kids had a good one recently that was lots of fun. It was hard enough to be challenging for my son.

I wish I had the guts to have a fiver party. Where everyone gives $5 to the birthday kid instead of a present. Kid gets $50 to spend and parents aren’t spending a fortune on landfill. I think it’s a fab idea I just can’t bring myself to do it.

• Like 3

BRB

DS is about to turn 9 and my suggestion to friends is...

Football

Twister board game

Ball on string (he likes those balls that bounce back and he can kick)

Anything Harry Potter (new interest since teacher has started reading the book in class)

Ninja kid books

Dog Man books

Lonely Plant world atlas book

Anything STEM

• Like 1

Babetty

We've had success with favourite game tie-in stuff - fortnite tshirt, Pokemon stuffed toy, figurines etc

Harry Potter tshirt was also very popular.

ETA beach towel, pool toys if you have a pool

Edited by Babetty

spr_maiden

The how to Minecraft books that you can get from target/big w for $10 each if he plays Minecraft. If you get the same one, you can swap it for another in the series.

Flutteby

My 9 year old loves his new books, especially his new joke book. He was also given money and saved up for a new Switch game. Bit more expensive but the Brain Box electronics kit is also a hit. Friends birthdays have mainly asked for money to save up for something. I'm quite happy to stick $20 in a card!

Flutteby

Other things my 9 year old enjoys that would fit the price range are 500+ jigsaw puzzles, board games especially cluedo and Mario monopoly, Rubiks cube, character PJs, bag tags for his school bag.

Babetty

9 / 10 was when DS started getting EB / other gift cards (EB Games, the "other" EB in our life!). As he's always trying to save up for new headphones / new game / new switch case it's been great.

I used to think gift cards were a bit of a cop out present, but it's less clutter and helping DS develop a sense of saving and helping him get what he really wants, so they're now a great present in my mind!

SplashingRainbows

Oh joke books - yes my kid has been into those all year.

And puzzles is another one that would go down well here too.

Riotproof

Puzzles maybe?

3babygirls

Books, Movie voucher, iTunes voucher, stuff from Zing?

Board games, nerf stuff?

Threelittleducks

Some friends of ours recently selected a charity that their child was interested in (tiger conservation) and everyone donated $5-10.

CrankyM

Board games, EB games vouchers, itunes voucher, books, puzzles, both my boys at that age still like matchbox cars, card games, board games

eachschoolholidays

Mine loves anything from smiggle and science / national geographic kits