CrankyM

Booster seat - UK. If you bought one, what did you do with it afterwards?

CrankyM

So we are going to the UK again next year. 1 kid is fine, no need for a booster as he's been out of one since he outgrew his and passed the 5 point test. 1 kid however... let just say unless he suddenly has a massive growth spurt he will need one. Last time we went I was extremely unimpressed with the one the car hire company provided. So this time as we are away for 4 weeks and likely driving every day or so, I will buy one.

Question is, what on earth do I do with it afterwards? Do I just leave it with the hire car? Especially as we will have it until we drop the car off at the airport before we fly home. What have others done?

seayork2002

they have a different system to us (well when DS was little they did) so are you buying it there or here?

CrankyM

Over there. MIL is meeting us at the airport so she will bring it with her. (I'll get it delivered to her house, as they get there in May.) It would be heaps easier if I could just take an Australian one over but different laws mean that doesn't work. And my kid is a shorty.

Edited by mayahlb

seayork2002

Over there. MIL is meeting us at the airport so she will bring it with her. (I'll get it delivered to her house, as they get there in May.) It would be heaps easier if I could just take an Australian one over but different laws mean that doesn't work. And my kid is a shorty.

I think there are charities that can use them - there was something when we came back to Australia but can't remember exactly

Future-self

Is your MIL driving you to the airport at the end?

If so can you leave it with her to either sell or give to family or friends of hers?

• Like 2

SeaPrincess

We brought them home and used them here. These were untethered boosters for older children.

I figured that with the number of seats on the market, If I got pulled over by the cops here, it’s unlikely they’d look at them and recognise that they’re not Australian.

• Like 1

CrankyM

Is your MIL driving you to the airport at the end?

If so can you leave it with her to either sell or give to family or friends of hers?

No she'll catch a train to Bangor where FIL will pick her up. We'd be fine actually without her coming but she insists. I might see if there is some charity of something we can drop it off with. It's just problematic if she decided to not come with us as it's very early in the morning we are leaving. We will leave Angelsey around 3.30am. We are picking up and dropping off the hire car at Manchester Airport.

Seaprincess - I'm very tempted to do that as he's outgrown his untethered booster we use as needed.

Edited by mayahlb

Future-self

No she'll catch a train to Bangor where FIL will pick her up. We'd be fine actually without her coming but she insists. I might see if there is some charity of something we can drop it off with. It's just problematic if she decided to not come with us as it's very early in the morning we are leaving. We will leave Angelsey around 3.30am. We are picking up and dropping off the hire car at Manchester Airport.

Seaprincess - I'm very tempted to do that as he's outgrown his untethered booster we use as needed.

In thy case I would probably just bring it back and work it out from here. You could sell/give to someone who is travelling to the UK or EU in coming years or yes, use yourself if confidant.

• Like 1

crocodilessnap

We have just got back from the UK where we did about 2 weeks wirth of driving. Double check the requirements as the rules have changed over there and kids now need to some form of booster up until 12 was the reading I found.

We ended up buying my 2 kids mifold booster seats (https://mifold.com/collections/homepage/products/mifold-the-grab-and-go-booster) from john lewis in London and used those for the duration. Obviously a bit more expensive than a basic booster but the convienience of shoving them in the backpack/suitcase when transistioning was worth it.

They are a bit heavier than we expected so couldn't chuck in the kids backpacks but fine in mine/DH's.

CrankyM

crocodilesnap - oldest kid is currently 147cm and 39kg. I doubt he would fit into a booster comfortably. Heck he's barely shorter then me. At his current growth rate he's like to be at least 150cm come July next year (he will be 11.5). The younger child unfortunately inherited my genes and is only currently 133cm and even though he will turn 10 there, I doubt he will be any more then 136cm tall. I'll have a look at that booster.

Lifesgood

We gave ours to friends in England who have small kids. Actualy, you've just reminded me I need to check if we need one for DS this trip!

Serapod

We left the one we bought there with the hire car company to use