lonestranger

URGENT - Good travel booster?

lonestranger

Nothing like leaving things till the last minute...

Our family is jetting off today for a work trip, and we've been provided cab charges for 4 airport transfers.

DS is a tall 5yo. I've had him in the back of a taxi once for a short trip in an interstate CBD, but didn't feel comfortable about it.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a travel or folding booster seat that I could use for our cab rides, and possibly for a car hire excursion we may take on one of our weekends?

DP thinks I'm being overly anxious and that we should just use taxis without any boosters....

Kiwi Bicycle

What country are you travelling too? I would probably grab the cheap folding booster around $ 50 because you don't have to tether it in and just use a seatbelt.

• Like 2

CrankyM

If it’s just domestic travel just grab the info folding booster. You don’t have to feather it and it’s easy to use. About $50-$60 at Kmart.

Nasty Bunsen

Kmart do a folding booster, was around $50 I think. The in-laws have one for DD6 for short trips.

theboys2

agree with above.

I have one for emergencies. its flimsy and light but it pops them higher in the seat and gets their neck away from the weird seatbelt position that looks like they will be chocked by the belt.

lonestranger

Thank you...yes, it’s domestic and I was thinking of the Kmart one! Great to hear it is what other people do.

• Like 1

*Andi*

We have the infasecure folding booster for when we have an extra child for short trips. It's very handy, but beware it doesn't fold all the way down, just the bum bit folds up, it's still the length of the back.

Untethered boosters need to be light, under 2kg I believe, otherwise they'd be too dangerous to use as they would be a heavy missile.

Jamelex

Yep, just grab the Infa folding booster. As PP said, just the bum bit folds up, and untethered boosters feel flimsy because they have to be under 2kg but otherwise meet the same safety standards as tethered boosters.

Make sure the lap belt part sits under the arm rests, and the bottom of the sash belt too. Easiest to do when seat belt is being buckled, just slide the buckle under the arm rest and do it up, and check first side is under too.

• Like 1

theboys2

thinking about this tho.. im not sure how it would fair on checked baggage.. and i dont think you would be allowed to carry it on?

CrankyM

thinking about this tho.. im not sure how it would fair on checked baggage.. and i dont think you would be allowed to carry it on?

It will do fine. I've carted one from one end of the country to the other, with 2 flights adding up to 9 hours travel time. Just ask for a plastic bag to put it in at the counter to bag it in. I think they must have a separate section where they put these types of things.

My kid has outgrown his folding booster so I have to cart a full one from one end of the country to another and on a train. (He's still too short not to use one)/ Definitely go the folding lightweight one.

ETA: this is the one you want. https://www.kmart.com.au/product/infasecure-foldaway-booster-seat/1024822

Edited by mayahlb
  • Like 1

Let-it-go

It’s fine in checked baggage. It’s a car seat, designed to withstand car crashes. Our Infa folding one was checked in onto planes at least 20 times. It’s final demise was being left in an Uber when we got home exhausted from a trip :doh:.

seayork2002

It would have to be one that meets the requirements of wherever you are travelling to

I was not being funny about that what I mean is if you buy it where you live will it comply to where you are going too?

Edited by seayork2002

PrincessPeach

Infa travel ones are $49 at big w at the moment - i have to buy a second one shortly so DH can do drop offs next year.

Also im fairly sure both virgin & qantas allow a car seat for free as check-in.

Future-self

We cart our car seats around the country for free on both Qantas and Virgin. Children have an extra luggage allowance to allow for them. You have to ask at the counter for a plastic bag for them and then it seems to differ airport to airport and airline to airline as to whether you have to take them to oversized drop off or they go with the normal bags. The staff will let you know.

We have the Infasecure travel booster in the middle position when we have an extra child to carry. People comment that it’s flimsy but in fact it outperforms some bigger tethered boosters on CREP testing

Future-self

In addition - taxi rides from airports in most places involve freeway driving. The thought of a 5 year old in an ill fitting seatbelt at 110km/hr is pretty horrifying

Kiwi Bicycle

I have fitted the folding one in a suitcase fine, clothes just packed around it it you have the space.

• Like 1