Sign in to follow this  
SuburbanPlum

3 seats in Kia Sportage

SuburbanPlum

Hi there

Here's a challenge for those who are savvy about car seat configuration. We currently have 2 kids in FF Britax Graphene and FF Britax Slimm-Line in our Sportage.

1) Will we manage to fit a capsule in too? If so, which one? (Bonus if it fits on Mountain Buggy Duet or Swift pram) And what configuration?

2) When the new bub outgrows the capsule our eldest will be 4 and ready to move into a high back booster. If it all fits, we'll keep the two seats above and swap in a booster instead of the capsule. Which booster? What configuration?

Thanks for your thoughts. Would be fantastic if we don't have to upgrade to a larger vehicle for a while.

Mose

Boosters with 3 across are very difficult to manage because you can't get your hand in between the seats easily to do the seat belt.

In your circumstances I would be planning on looking for a seat which will allow harnessing for longer.

None of my nieces, nephews or the child old enough to say, have been able to sit safely in a booster as soon as they turned 4.

Edited by Mose

theboys2

ive got a kia sportage and have def fit three seats in my car. I think a RF seat in the middle and two FF seats.

I would get two maxi guards or soemthing simialr which are extended harnessing as liek PP putting your hand down to buckle in is a PITA! and it hurts lol.

If you get a extended RF seat it will also give you longer to use that configuration. (i do not know the specific seats/ capsules you are talking about tho sorry)

I have managed 3 FF seats but it was 2 maxi guards and 1 booster (hiliner) I have also got three maxiguards in there before as well.

Behind Hazel Eyes

If you're on FB OP there's a few car seat groups, someone on there can usually help. We got 3 across in our camry, 2 maxi guard pros (now 3) and a RF Miridian. I went to baby bunting and tried a heap of seats with the Miridian we already had from DD. If there's a baby store near you they're usually very helpful.

Cheesy Sanga

With the graphene and the slimmline yes a capsule should fit. No idea which one fits your pram though, sorry. Install a FF seat in the middle first. Then the other FF seat on a side. Then the capsule on the other side.

While a seat belt booster is legal at 4yo it's not recommended. Most 4yo are not mature enough to be responsible for their own safety (sit still, not lean out, not slump even while asleep etc) plus it's hard to get your hand between the seats to do up the belt.

Much safer and easier to stay in a harnessed seat as long as possible. Britax maxi guard or maxi guard pro. Baby Love Ezy Grow. Infasecure grandeur (titanium or emperor or achieve or cadence). These are the "type G" harnessed seats that will keep up to a large 8yo/small 10yo harnessed.

• Like 2

Jamelex

A different option could be to forego the capsule, put your eldest in a harnessed booster (I have three maxi guards across two cars here) and then the little two could use your two existing seats (newborn of course RF).

The Graphene and Slimm-Line are narrow seats already. Your best chance at getting them to fit (however you choose to go forward) is install the middle seat first.

• Like 1

SuburbanPlum

Thanks everyone. Looks like we might squeeze everyone in then. I appreciate info on the extended harnessing - wasn't aware of this option. Definitely keen on a MaxiGuard for the eldest.

The idea of putting our newborn straight into the Graphene had crossed my mind but I thought this might be tricky logistically - waking up when transferring to pram, carrier etc. Anyone successfully managed a younger child without a capsule?

PrincessPeach

i had a capsule for 4 days with #1 before swapping to a rear facing seat (he screamed blue murder in it & i couldnt lift it). As a newborn, they rarely woke on transfer & then as they got older they were so used to it they still barely stirred.

But just on the booster, my 3.5 year old has just reached the entry height booster on our infa secure travel booster & no way would i trust him to sit in it. But he is on the 85th percentile for height & most of that is in his body.

BubbleBird

I've had three across in my Sportage! One being a Maxi Cosi Citi capsule. I don't know if that would fit your pram though. Also, I would keep your 4 yo in a harness for as long as possible, for both safety and ease of doing up. I've only just moved my 7 year old to a harness.

FuzzyChocolateToes

The idea of putting our newborn straight into the Graphene had crossed my mind but I thought this might be tricky logistically - waking up when transferring to pram, carrier etc. Anyone successfully managed a younger child without a capsule?

I have 4 and never had a capsule! In fact I didn't know many people with one.

SuburbanPlum

Thank you everyone. Feel a bit silly not knowing about extended harnessing. I think we might just go with a new MaxiGuard and put the wee one into No2's current Graphene.

• Like 1

Jamelex

I’ve got three and all went straight into 0-4 seats, no capsules. There are quite a few harnessed boosters around but I love my maxi guards.

Behind Hazel Eyes

I’ve got three and all went straight into 0-4 seats, no capsules. There are quite a few harnessed boosters around but I love my maxi guards.

Ditto on all of those. 3 kids, never had a capsule, love our maxi guards.