IamtheMumma

At what point do you quit?

IamtheMumma

I'm doing a cert IV. Its a 2 year part time course and this is the first semester of study. It didn't start well and its gotten progressively worse. Between having to get 100% on every piece of assessment (I'm sitting on 96-98% its demoralising knowing that every week your assessment is going to be returned as its not 100%), no clear learning objectives, a fair bit of incompetence from them, lots of busy work with no learning objective and outdated material, I'm ready to quit. I don't enjoy it and its become a chore. It also isn't a reflection on the end qualifications.

I'm due to pay the next instalment of fees and purchase additional software (2K) but I don't see the point in throwing good money after bad.

I also don't have a plan B, which is concerning.

seayork2002

I have quit few times with studying, I just could not cope with it so was learning anything then I thought why am I actually doing it? it was for pleasure I was most likely not going to get any career out of it as such

now though I am studying because of my job (well recently finished a short course) and looks like I will not have a choice but to study next year as the government is changing rules in my industry.

What I will be doing is self paced so I can cope with that (and am able to sneak some study time in at work)

sorry I am rambling but ask anything specific if you want

SeaPrincess

What course is it? If you want the qualification, instead of stressing over 100%, think of the assessments as handing in what you think they want, then getting feedback from them if you’ve missed the mark.

FWIW, I did my Certificate IV in Training and Assessment upgrade earlier this year. I’ve been working in the field for too long and smashed out the second half of my assessments in 2 days before the already extended due date because I knew that if I didn’t get it completely right, I’d just get feedback from them on what needed changing. I completely missed 2 whole tasks, but the email just came back asking me to do those and make some minor changes to the others.

Of course, if they’re really bad, that’s another story. Would you get a statement of attainment for any completed units if you pulled out now? You’d get credit transfer for them if you changed providers, which might bring the cost down, although there are no guarantees - credit transfers involve some admin work to verify, so they don’t always reduce the price.

Tamarahhh

Perhaps just talk to them about not continuing and seeking refund options, just to get an idea first but you will obviously likely lose money, I did a part time course in bookkeeping which sounds similar where the company that ran the course gave me so much conflicting information I was so glad to have finally finished it, is it all at home or partly in class? There will be plenty of other courses you can pick up elsewhere, though im wondering if its a standard for most of that industry, my Mum did a cert online with a diff company and had the same issues

Chaotic Pogo

Depends on why you are doing the course.

To genuinely learn something worth while, or to have a bit of paper for the next job/promotion.

Grrrumbles

It doesn’t sound like a quality provider. The industry is going through great change but I expect there are still a lot of companies out there who provide courses with the minimal possible staffing to maximise their profits. I wouldn’t pay anymore money without seeking some advice from someone knowledgeable about your options and the alternative providers.

Is the 100% score requirement a normal things for the subject matter? I haven’t come across assessments in my line of work that require that but other industries may be different.

• Like 2

qak

Is the 100% score requirement a normal things for the subject matter? I haven’t come across assessments in my line of work that require that but other industries may be different.

Yes I've never heard of a 100% requirement either. To be honest I can only think of two fields that might require 100% - pilots and control tower operators.

Generally it is Competent or Not Yet Competent.

Competent does not mean 100%!

• Like 4

qak

I would be looking for other providers. Armed with how your experience has been going, you should be able to get an idea whether they are better or not.

Daffy2016

What provider is it? It might be worth looking at ASQA’s website and making sure they’re accredited.

steppy

Yes I've never heard of a 100% requirement either. To be honest I can only think of two fields that might require 100% - pilots and control tower operators.

Generally it is Competent or Not Yet Competent.

Competent does not mean 100%!

It's normal in the VET sector for many things. It's competent or not yet competent and competent often means 100% as the assessment is (or should be) designed to assess the lowest minimum standard that meets the required standard. Hence 100%. It is considered unfair if the material requires a higher standard than what is outlined in the Units of Competency.

• Like 3

2004member

See if you can transfer to another provider and take any credits with you.

literally nobody

Yes i have quit a course because we had so much unnecessary content.wasting my time. I don’t need to know the anatomy of a computer, it’s completely irrelevant to the course im studying. I have had 15 years of admin experience and im not interested in the anatomy of a computer where ill need to do 15 hours of study before assessment.

FloralArrangement

I had to get 100% for every quiz and assignment for the course I completed this year through TafeSA, as did my daughter who completed a course with them last year. You always get a second go and feedback from your focus lecturer to succeed. The 100% has come in since the overhaul and accreditation that occurred about 2 years ago when it was found that a lot of courses were not up to scratch with what was being taught and expected outcomes to use in the relevant industries.

I thoroughly enjoyed my course and gained a position before completion because I had undertaken it. As has my daughter who has also commenced the uni course the tafe course was a bridge too.

seayork2002

My work course is government controlled (best use of the words I can think of) but it is a private company doing it - there is 100% or do it until you get the 100%

sadly it was not multiple choice I am pretty good at those but they give you questions and you type answers to show your understanding.

Out of 30 assignments (mostly short ones) I had to redo 8-10 or so but except for 1 I got it ok the second time.

I understood the content but the way they asked the questions was weird (other people where I worked agreed) and the website would have been modern 20 years ago.

I may have to study again next year but hope we can do it through a different company

IamtheMumma

I sent an email in yesterday stating that I’m unenroling. An hour later there’s a letter from them stating that they’re changing the 100% pass mark to 80% to be competent. Obviously I’m not the only person who was getting annoyed with them.

But it’s too little too late for me as I’m behind an assessment and quite frankly, I’ve had enough of their incompetence.

Serapod

That is very frustrating. What did you do in the end? Have you got a new plan for this year?

lizzzard

It's normal in the VET sector for many things. It's competent or not yet competent and competent often means 100% as the assessment is (or should be) designed to assess the lowest minimum standard that meets the required standard. Hence 100%. It is considered unfair if the material requires a higher standard than what is outlined in the Units of Competency.

This approach shows a very poor understanding of competency assessment. Test results are a proxy for a person’s actual knowledge, and always have a degree of error. Notwithstanding that the error could be on either direction, even the most rigorously constructed tests (which I’m guessing most are not), if aiming to be ‘fair’, should have a pass rate of 95% to allow for a 5% error rate if the expectation is 100% knowledge of the topic.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Can you talk to some people who work in the field you are trying to get into about alternative pathways? It doesn't sound like a very well run course. That's going to have a big impact on your learning.