CrankyM

Help me decide on a fitbit for an 11yr old

CrankyM

So, my oldest kid wants a fitbit for Christmas (and therefore the youngest also says he wants one...).

I've narrowed it down to two.

The fitbit ace which is a kids one (https://www.fitbit.com/au/shop/ace2?color=night-sky)

and the fitbit inspire HR (https://www.fitbit.com/au/shop/inspire?product=inspirehr&color=lilac)

Must haves are: Timer and be able to set alarms as reminders

He doesn't have a phone, but will get one at the end of next year because he starts highschool in 2021.

I'll admit the inspire is on the list because the guided breathing sessions on the trackers sounds like something he could use when distressed or upset (he is autistic and has adhd hence the need for timer and alarms).

I also worry the kids one is too, well kiddy like when he is 11. But he's has a garmin kids one before and well, let just say it was put on then taken off, then put on then taken off, randomly stuck somewhere and then I found it a year later. He did have my old garmin vivio(something) HR band that is similar to the Inspire and wore it regularly so it might have just been the design of the band on the kids garmin. So if I buy the expensive one and it's constantly removed, well there is a waste of money.

So help? None of the local stores have them in stock so I can't go and actually look at them unfortunately (I live remote and rural, it's 600kms to the nearest Kmart as an example)

dadwasathome

I know not fitbit, DS11 got the Garmin vivosmart 4 last year and wears it pretty constantly, even showering. He sets alarms, checks messages and shuffles music from it.

There has been a tear in the band, which isn't user serviceable, and the unit is being replaced pretty much no questions asked.

seayork2002

sorry to butt in but is one of these without the 'fit' bit ie does calls/reminders but nothing fitness related for a 12yo?

Prancer is coming

I would go the second one. My kid got a non kid one at 8, and he think the features are better. The kids ones seem more focused on rewards. I am about to upgrade him 3 years on and there really is not anything wrong with the one he has. I doubt your child at 14 would want one with a monster on the screen or be fussed about rewards on the watch for making his bed.

I find Garmin better than fit bit. However, recently had a problem with my old fit bit that one of the kids has, and was really impressed they replaced it.

JBH

Just so you are aware, an 11 year old will only be able to set up a profile for the children’s one. If he has an adult one, you will either need to lie about his birthdate or set him up as you (not as a child as an adjunct to you). We didn’t realise this until after we had bought them and has created problems.

Apple14

My just turned 9yr old has the ace and loves it. He’s good at charging it (and it’s quick charge) and it only leaves his body when it’s charging.

I have just got my 13yr old a Fitbit like watch from big w for $50. It has timers and alarms and steps etc but looks more grown up than the ace but not as pricey as the hr.

I would have a look around at what else is offered. I would be concerned spending all that money on an hr for it to not be used. Perhaps get the cheaper one as a trial and get him an upgrade next year if all goes well?

dadwasathome

sorry to butt in but is one of these without the 'fit' bit ie does calls/reminders but nothing fitness related for a 12yo?

Not quite sure about your question? DS11 does track his steps and various bits and pieces, but mostly uses the smartwatch functions.

CrankyM

Apple he was using my old garmin previously before it completely fell apart (I'd upgraded mine). He was quiet enthused about it and unhappy when it broke and has been nagging me on and off since then to get him one. I think the kid's garmin band irritated him, hence taking it off and on. And well, I live remote, we have a target and that's it. I couldn't find any range there at all unfortunately. So I don't know if there are cheaper ones around here.

JBH - that is ridiculous! How stupid not to allow younger kids to set up a profile.

seayork - pretty sure you can't get one that doesn't have some sort of fitness tracking. A lot of people mostly use the smart watch features then anything else anyway.

dadwasathome - I'll look at that one. I will admit I briefly looked at the garmins but most are more then I want to spend. (My kid also has a birthday right before Christmas and we are away on an expensive holiday).

• Like 1

seayork2002

Not quite sure about your question? DS11 does track his steps and various bits and pieces, but mostly uses the smartwatch functions.

sorry I am guessing I mean more of a smart watch than fittbit but the smart watches I have seen seem to be for young kids?

CrankyM

seayork a friend just mentioned this one. It's just used as a watch and reminders, doesn't connect to a phone etc.

https://www.tabtimer.com.au/epages/tata4926.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/tata4926/Products/TTW-WM3-BLU

It's just for reminders though. I'm tempted to buy one of the smaller ones for the younger kid, as it's mostly reminders that he needs...

• Like 1

MrsWidget

I got both my autistic boys (11 & 7) the Fitbit Charge 3 and they love them. The HR monitor is fabulous to see how they fare over a day - ie stressful times heart-rate is up. I also get them to do the breathing exercises when they need to.

• Like 1

Clementinerose

I’m not sure the Ace has a timer function on it. I’d double check that before purchasing if it’s a must have.

Lifesgood

I've decided to get the Charge 3 for my nearly-14 y/o and probably the Inspire for my nearly-9 y/o for Xmas.

DD wanted the same Fitbit as her bestie, so the Charge 3 it is, but I don't want to spend as much on DS's in case he loses or breaks it so we are going for the cheaper model.

JBH

I've decided to get the Charge 3 for my nearly-14 y/o and probably the Inspire for my nearly-9 y/o for Xmas.

DD wanted the same Fitbit as her bestie, so the Charge 3 it is, but I don't want to spend as much on DS's in case he loses or breaks it so we are going for the cheaper model.

The Charge 3 is on sale at Rebel for $169.

• Like 2

Lifesgood

The Charge 3 is on sale at Rebel for $169.

Really????!!!!! Off to look! Thanks so much!!

ETA: Thanks again for the tip, I just bought a Charge 3 for my 13 y/o DD and an Ace 2 for DS 9. Ended up getting them from Officeworks as they were a bit cheaper. Saved $60 on the Charge and $10 on the Ace 2. That's Christmas sorted!

Edited by Lifesgood

Kreme

Has anyone else had issues with their fitbits? Two of the three we own in our family have just randomly stopped working after a year or so. Plus DD’s band broke and as the models keep changing we can’t find a replacement anywhere.

Jersey Caramel

Has anyone else had issues with their fitbits? Two of the three we own in our family have just randomly stopped working after a year or so. Plus DD’s band broke and as the models keep changing we can’t find a replacement anywhere.

Have you contacted fitbit customer support? I have found them really good with sending replacement bands and troubleshooting problems over the phone. Sometimes they need a hard reset and it can be a bit of a complicated process.