Sign in to follow this  
amos1986

Soft marker EIF 30 weeks

amos1986

Hi Im freaking out a little bit and wondering iff any mamas out there have had 'soft markers' with there bubs that havent resolved by third trimester?

At my 20 week scan they found an isolated soft marker on babies heart (EIF)

Ive just had 30 week follow up scan and the sonographer would not tell me iff the marker was still there and that I have to wait to talk to doctor with report.

I am so anxious and wondering iff any other mums have been through the same thing later in pregnancy and iff your babies ended up with any chromosomal abnormalities?

Im trying to prepare myself iff the marker is still there.

Thanks smile

Amie

rowd

I didn't want to read and not reply, as I went through similar and it was extremely stressful. My soft marker was totally different, and appeared to be isolated, but I made myself sick with worry. If you can, I would recommend having whatever tests or extra scans you need, to set your mind at ease. All the best, and I hope you get the news that it has disappeared.

amos1986

I didn't want to read and not reply, as I went through similar and it was extremely stressful. My soft marker was totally different, and appeared to be isolated, but I made myself sick with worry. If you can, I would recommend having whatever tests or extra scans you need, to set your mind at ease. All the best, and I hope you get the news that it has disappeared.

hi rowd

Thank you for your response- can I ask iff your bub ended up ok/ healthy?

Edited by amos1986

rowd

The marker that they found ended up being non-existent, the doctor made a mistake and another doctor realised after many scans that it was not in fact there. She was sadly not born healthy, however her health condition was totally unrelated to the original "finding". Generally a single soft marker in isolation is nothing - I think with the advance in ultrasound technology, things are being noticed that were never noticed before, and that have never caused any issues. I definitely learnt that ignorance can be bliss at times, sometimes we have too much information available and it causes a lot of unnecessary worry.

amos1986

The marker that they found ended up being non-existent, the doctor made a mistake and another doctor realised after many scans that it was not in fact there. She was sadly not born healthy, however her health condition was totally unrelated to the original "finding". Generally a single soft marker in isolation is nothing - I think with the advance in ultrasound technology, things are being noticed that were never noticed before, and that have never caused any issues. I definitely learnt that ignorance can be bliss at times, sometimes we have too much information available and it causes a lot of unnecessary worry.

Thank you so much for your response.

I am so sorry your bub wasn't born healthy- I cant imagine the stress you have been through.

I just have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and so much anxiety. My ob said iff the marker is still there (when I get results) that I can go to sydney (I'm in rural NSW) for more advanced scans. Im trying not to stress about it but it is very hard not too

Hi OP, though I have not been through this personally, from my understanding an EIF in isolation is essentially irrelevant, it’s only significant in tandem with other markers. Something like 1 in 20 normal pregnancies will have one, if you look hard enough.

Just checking if you had Down syndrome /T13 screening?

amos1986

Hi OP, though I have not been through this personally, from my understanding an EIF in isolation is essentially irrelevant, it’s only significant in tandem with other markers. Something like 1 in 20 normal pregnancies will have one, if you look hard enough.

Just checking if you had Down syndrome /T13 screening?

Thank you so much for your post- its made me feel a lot better. I think the reason why I'm so anxious is my doctor hasn't really explained much to me- I told him I'm anxious about it and he said he has seen it a lot in his practice and every single one has resolved by 30 week scan. He said iff it hasn't I can go for more tests.

I think thats why I'm panicked because I feel it is still there based on the look of the sonographers face when I asked her- she said I have to wait to speak to dr for results.

I had the 12 week bloods done for down syndrome which based on age (33) and bloodwork came back as low risk (is that the same as T13 screening)?

bees-knees

I had a soft marker at the 20-week scan. I got told this was a "tiny echogenic focus on the heart", and having just Googled EIF, I'm assuming that's the same thing.

My girl was born totally healthy, but with Down syndrome, which was unexpected, as my 12-week scan and bloods came back low risk.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, either here or by PM.

Soontobegran

Can I just say that this is almost never an issue, it is present in many many babies ultrasounds and if you were of Asian descent it is not thought to be a marker at all as it is so common.

I understand your concern though, we as parents tend to go to the worst case scenario but if there are no other markers then your baby is most likely perfectly fine.

Lots of good luck.

• Like 1