Lunafreya

OOSHC in FYOS

José

I think the DS of the OP has a disability and will be attending a support class for kindergarten?

Will the OOSH cater well for his needs? Will he be able to manage a whole day of.school and OOSH?

My DS doesn't do OOSH. He finds school so physically and mentally draining he wouldn't manage well at OOSH.

Lunafreya

I’m not sure. But this seems to be the best option to have DS living with me during the week. Can’t depend on family as my dad might be moving interstate. The easy way is to just have DD alternate weekends, but I fit want to do that. I want to see him more and I know he misses me.

The social workers who have been working with us are visiting soon. So I’ll discuss it with them. They’ll want to see DS’s room no doubt and check out how clean the place is.

CrankyM

When you talk to the OOSH you might be able to find if they are able to apply for inclusion support, which is basically an extra carer to help out. It can be very dependent on the child as to if OOSH works or not. My oldest has been to it on and off for the last 6 years. The only time he has ever had a problem is actually to do with another child not coping with the OOSH and basically attacking my kid who then refused to attend if that child was there. Thankfully that was at the end of last year and between a combo of using his support worker in the arvo we need and an alternative provider for vacation care we are fine.

Lunafreya

I’m not actually worried too much how DS would cope in OOSC. He is autistic, but is a very active boy and this does give him the chance to play outside more AND be social with other children. There will be set days he goes, so the routine will be predictable.

He has been going all week at his pre-school this year and they have big emphasis on outdoor play, which he loves.

To be honest, the only thing I am worried about is how tired he will be and how hard it can be to get him up in the morning. If they do provide breakfast, then that makes it a bit easier.

PrincessPeach

Sorry for the hijack LF, what do OOSHC usually do on pupil free days, do they run vacation care hours or will I have to take those days off work? I will be asking next orientation day but just wanted an idea on what is likely.

Ours & all the ones nearby run vacation care hours.

It is dependant on your provider, but with the one at our school, you book the days you need & it doesnt have to be the same days each week. You can even book a casual day if needs be (full fee though).

Ours provide breakfast if they want to eat it & an after school snack - even at vacation care you have to provide lunch for your child.

And you can claim the centrelink rebates.

Edited by PrincessPeach
  • Like 1

Grrrumbles

You have to give 2 weeks notice to drop days at ours and it does get full so I would book what you think you will need when bookings open and check when you would need to withdraw. We don’t have holiday care at our school, it is at a nearby school.

Ours also doesn’t do breakfast but others nearby do, its pretty variable.

The holiday care availability depends on the activity - days with movie outings, nerf wars etc book up quicker than usual.

blimkybill

I would think that if your DS was cared by his father, that could be used against you so would avoid that option.

I disagree with this.

If it ended up being the best thing for the child, why would anyone hold that against the OP? It would be both parents acting collaboratively for the wellbeing of the child.

Some kids don't cope well with a really long day or the chaos and noise of OOSHC. Some kids may do much better in a quiet environment before or after school. If that's the case, then letting him go to his father's would be a great solution and should not disadvantage anyone.

• Like 2

BornToLove

kimasa

My daughter in in FYOS and has gone 3 days a week right from the start of school. Her one is actually run by the daycare centre across the road and they have a separate room for OSHC and two lovely ladies who walk to and from the school with the kids. They run vacation care on pupil free days but defer school holiday care to the larger OSHC provider in the town centre (which is a place that picks up and drops off to/from any school in the are with minibusses).

She loves it, aside from the breakfast so she eats in the car, but she didn't like having breakfast at daycare either.