Sign in to follow this  
Sue231

Employment Service Provider

Sue231

My husband and I ended up on newstart 2 months ago after being retrenched from our job ( at the same company) after 15 years.

A month ago husband got new casual job which has reduced our newstart to zero last 2 fortnight's so far and can see this being the case for a while.

My Employment Service Provider said I must continue to to apply for 20 jobs a month and attend monthly appointments (next one is this Thursday) for at least the next 6 fortnights even though I'm receiving no payments.

I tried calling centrelink but keep getting hung up on.

I just would like to know if this how it works.

TIA

Sue

fig_jam

It's been a long time since I worked in the sector but from memory you can continue to report your income and comply with your mutual obligations with your service provider for six weeks with zero payment before your newstart claim will cancel. It is in case circumstances change with your job or your husband's you dont need to make a whole new claim in those six weeks. Of course you can choose not to and your current newstart will cancel sooner, so if you need it again you have to start a new claim.

VigilantePaladin

Yes that is true. As you are a recipient of a Centrelink benefit so you need to keep up with your obligations which is to report any income in your reporting fortnight, apply for and report 20 jobs per month and either attend meetings physically or participate in phone meetings with your job network provider. These are YOUR obligations as you are not working. It is your DH that has the job not you, and by continuing to do that then there may be a time that his income is low enough that you may get a small payment. I would imagine that you also both have health care cards which will be tied to your payments.

This is what my 18yr old DD has to do and she is on Youth Allowance which is the equivalent of Newstart for under 24 yrs old.

• Like 2

Hollycoddle

It's been a long time since I worked in the sector but from memory you can continue to report your income and comply with your mutual obligations with your service provider for six weeks with zero payment before your newstart claim will cancel. It is in case circumstances change with your job or your husband's you dont need to make a whole new claim in those six weeks. Of course you can choose not to and your current newstart will cancel sooner, so if you need it again you have to start a new claim.

This. Whilstever you're still technically on the payment you need to continue to comply with mutual obligations.

Chocolate Addict

Yep, what figjam said, you stay on the books for 6 (or is it 8?) weeks after receiving zero payments.

Then they drop you off and send a letter usually.

Lunafreya
I tried calling centrelink but keep getting hung up on.

Call the complaints line, then when you get through explain that you keep getting hung up on and that’s why you’re calling them.

CoffeeGuy

Keep jumping through centrelink hoops, if your husband loses his job or has a reduction of hours you may get money from centrelink also as already said you won't have a waiting period if you stay on centrelink.

In centrelink's eyes you are a dependent of your employed husband.

Edited by CoffeeGuy

Sue231

Thanks for the replys..Will keep it up.

3 more fortnights to go.