kass87

Christmas budget

kass87

We have a family with 6 children. What's everyone's Christmas budgets look like?

VVV

I've put aside $800 for Christmas in total - that includes all presents and food for the day. We are a family of 3, but buy for extended family also.

Tinky Winky Woo

We don't have a budget but I do keep spending low by buying when I see things on special. Our food budget is low as there are only the 4 of us and we just have what ever we feel like on the day. We also don't buy for anyone else family wise.

• Like 2

BadCat

I don't budget for Christmas. Some years I spend a couple of thousand, some years I spend a few hundred. Depends what people need/want, and how many I'm buying for.

Only buying for myself and my two kids this year. Probably won't spend all that much. Maybe $500 all up.

• Like 1

kerilyntaryn

probably around $150 for 3 kids and $100 for nieces and nephews total, no extra cost for food

Edited by kerilyntaryn

emma_jean

Currently $425 saved for Christmas. Will cover my two sons, parents, nieces, nephews and a few others. Nothing extravagant.

Mooples

We usually budget around $1000 for gifts for our 2 boys, our parents, my sister and our niece And all the other novelty Christmas stuff - Santa photos, outfits for the boys, decorations, craft activities, advent calendars etc. We don’t buy presents for any other family. That should hopefully cover lunch for us this year too, we are going out so a lot more expensive than previous years.

Hands Up

We try not to go overboard. My kids are four and five and $200-250 per kid goes a long way. I like to give them around four presents knowing they’ll get another 3-4 from family.

For my niece and nephew I spend around $80 on each and my sister does the same.

For DH I spend around $200 and we have a $100 adult secret Santa gift.

Another couple of $25 secret Santa gifts for friends and work and I’m done.

So around $900 total for gifts.

melib

$30 per niece / nephew. About $200 per each of our own kids. $20 Secret Santa x 2. $ 200 on DH. My brother and sister $50 each.... so that comes to about $1000. YIKES! I didn't realise how much we spend on gifts. Food - maybe an extra $200 depending on whether we are hosting etc.

knottygirl

I spend 300-500 per child. Then various other family members plus extra food teacher gifts. I budget for about $2000 but usually go over that.

onetrick

I probably should budget a little better- I usually assume around $50 per adult present but if we can get away with less then we do. DS is only little (18m), with another on the way, so nothing too huge this year. Prob $100-150 all up for his presents (including stuff he needs cause unwrapping is the best part!). I buy all of the wrapping/ cards etc in the after Christmas sales so I dont need to think about that as well.

I have used an app to help with present budget before, but havent got one for my current phone (santas bag I think it was called? It was really easy to use).

For food, I get non perishables as they go on sale from about now onwards (drinks, snacks etc), to save time and effort later.

gracie1978

$170 for DS

$130 for DP

$150 for daycare teachers

Plus $50 for small gifts e.g biscuits for neighbours, choccies for piano instructor etc

AJPM

I put away $100 per pay throughout the year and have $2500 saved by Christmas. I have a large extended family that we buy for and $1000 is given to charity (Christmas hamper, giving tree etc).

• Like 4

Freddie'sMum

We don't have a set budget either. The kids are older (14 and 12) now so they understand that when Mum and Dad have been through the wars (job loss, broken backs) that we don't have as much money to spend on Christmas.

We are going away for the Christmas / NY break and we need to pay for that, so that's part of our family Christmas present.

• Like 1

Ayr

Edited by Ayr

SeaPrincess

Ours varies greatly - last year DD got a MacBook for school. This year will be less expensive.

I have, in the past, done the Myer Christmas Club - you put in whatever amount you can afford, and in November, they send you gift cards for that amount +10%. The only real drawbacks are waiting until November to start Christmas shopping and being restricted to Myer, but that extra 10% is a great incentive!

Even though I don’t budget tightly, I keep a spreadsheet of what I’ve bought and what I’ve spent

Apageintime

Varies so much. This year I'm not hosting Xmas day so it'll be way cheaper.

I spent about $100 on each person and buy for 5 people and then spend an extra $200 or so on special food etc in the lead up (can't get enough of those fruit mince pies!)

lizzybirdsworth

We do. We live interstate and travel every Christmas so we put away money each pay for presents and for travel.

We spend $150-200 per child, $50 on ds1 girlfriend, $40 on nephews and our siblings and $100 on our parents. I keep trying to bring it down because it’s Christmas and would prefer to spend more on birthdays.

BeAwesome

My youngest wants a large air track, they're around $2000, but I've sold a few things I had hanging around in storage and found a near new secondhand one, so I only ended up being out of pocket $150.

My eldest wants around $800 worth of music equipment, I know it will be well used, so I'm still trying to shop around online (she wants a specific amp and mic setup).

This is probably a bit more than we'd spend, but I'd rather pay a bit more for useful stuff, than spend less on surprise toys.

1975ladybug

Depends, To be honest I don’t really budget for it, neices & nephews I buy for along the way when on sale, along with the grown up, work and others gifts bags of chocolates are done now with Halloween chocolate on sale,

I make a contribution to the family Christmas lunch, this year I won’t have time to cook so mine will be a gelato dessert that I know all will enjoy,

Ds this year is getting a mini hifi system & LEGO, normally santa brings a present that we both can use but this year it’s more a LEGO collection because the first time ever o want LEGO, the ski chalet!

Chocolate Addict

I don't budget, and I usually only buy for 2 people, my mother and my teenager.

Teen my budget is usually up to $500 or so, for his birthday it is up to $1000.

Mother is usually between 1- 200.

We don't do anything special on Christmas day so not that expensive, just prawns, bbq and salads.

Answers will all be very different depending on people's income, whether they choose to use afterpay/credit cards, how many people they are buying for etc...

I don't have any credit cards and never use afterpay.

Aughra

I spend $150 on DS and $30 on everyone else I buy gifts for (around 10 people).

I don't see my family for Christmas and DS will be with his dad so I don't have to host anything.

Ouo

This will be our first Christmas where ours sons are old enough (~2yo) to get excited about it and enjoy all the magic that Christmas brings. I loved Christmas as a kid (albeit I grew up in the Northern Hemisphere and snow definitely adds to the magic!) and want to do my best to make it a great experience for my kids.

My partner is Chinese and has no interest in, or appreciation of, Christmas at all so it’s up to me to organise pretty much everything which I’m fine with. I’m sure he’ll enjoy seeing their faces on Christmas morning though!

Having recently move into a new apartment, we need to start from scratch with Christmas decorations - artificial tree, baubles, tinsel, lights, and all the rest of it. I think it’s better to spend a bit more to get good quality stuff that’ll last many years. Apart from Myer & DJs, where else is good for XMAS stuff?

As for presents, one of my sons has his birthday in late November and the other is early January so we need to buy toys for three occasions! I think I need to be more active in the post-Christmas sales and stock up for the following year.

I like the idea of putting away $X each pay cycle to build up a Christmas fund over the year. It really helps control spending and make you focus more on what you buy with that fixed amount of money so thanks for that suggestion!

notorico

We don't budget. I buy whatever I think they would like. Usually about $1200 per child x 4. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Then we spend about $50 for nieces, nephews and close friends kids.

About $100 each on my best friend, sister, brothers, dad and in-laws.

I expect there would be another $500 or so on food and decorations.

It does add up but I love Christmas. I pay cash for everything so if there happened to be a leaner year I would cut back.

AllyK81

We don't have a budget. We don't buy much for the kids - maybe half a dozen things - but usually 'good' things.

This year they are getting a bike, some pyjamas, some books, some board games and walkie talkies.

We don't really buy for extended family and DH parents put on Christmas lunch. I make the puddings. But there are lots of parties, BBQs and other festive get togethers that we host/go to that probably costs us several hundred dollars all told. Plus a real Christmas tree.

I reckon we probably spend $2000 all up?