BeAwesome

Toy for 8 year old

BeAwesome

I've got my turning 8 year old DDs birthday and Christmas gifts sorted (mostly practical stuff relating to hobbies, or experiences), but I don't have anything "fun" for her to open on the day. My 11 year old would be fine with this, but younger DD still likes toys.

I have a complete ban on "surprise" toys (LOL and the like), because she loses interest the minute they're open. Pretty much all the toy commercials targeting her age involve dolls, surprises, and things that poop slime, none of which she or I are interested in.

As it's just an add on, budget is under $50. She's not particularly interested in 'educational' toys, and doesn't need anything involving screens/tech. She has shelves of plush toys already.

What's something your 8 year old daughter has enjoyed, and played with?

Bearynice

I don’t have girls... but what about a scooter? Or a lego set?

Lots of girls that age are into crafty stuff ( like a fashion designer set)

• Like 1

JBH

Lego is great. Alternatively my 8 yo son and his (female, if it matters) friend recently spent all day playing with a Sylvanian Families set and some Beyblades.

Apageintime

Books? Lego? Fun clothing that you'd never normally buy (sparkly shoes, random hair stuff), is she into craft, there are some really sweet craft kits around.

Some of the science type kits are super cool too and 8 year old me would have LOVED them

• Like 1

waawa17

You've told us a bit about what she doesn't like, but what does she like? A bit about her hobbies, interests, etc might help. At that age for us it was a lot of Lego, sports equipment, boardgames, books etc. Would she prefer hair chalk and soluble nail polish, a basketball, a book on cardgames, yarn and a crochet hook, a Rubik's cube, a rock painting kit, Nerf guns, gel pens, a lava lamp, something else?

Edited by waawa17

Tinky Winky Woo

Lego, books, a special colouring in book and new pencils, pop vinyls, jewellery making kit, or something like that.

aluminium

Miss 9, last Christmas, gushed over slime kits and craft kits.

BornToLove

Craft kit or LEGO would be a winner with my DD. She enjoys building and making things, so either would be great for her.

If neither suit your DD, what about a board game? We regularly have game night and DD loves it. Classics are always good, but newer games like exploding kittens is a hit as well

• Like 1

GingerbreadWoman

Not my daughter, but my cousins children (8 and 10) were given mini spirograph kits last year and they were a big hit.

A new board or card game would also be good, especially if there is a sibling who is also getting practical or experience gifts. It’s great to have something to open and do on the day!

WaitForMe

When you say she still likes toys, what ones does she have and like?

Personally, I tend to go with crafty things because it keeps DD busy even if she doesn't use the end result. Kmart has some good kits, for instance a set of nesting Russian dolls to paint.

My 7yo got a Shrinkies kit for her bday, she loved colouring them in then watching them shrink. They're pretty cute I use one as my keyring.

jayta

My DD has enjoyed rock painting, rubix cube, bunch o balloons, giant inflatable items, chattermate koala (repeats everything you say), magic kit, board games, bath bomb kit, nail polish

For Christmas I'm considering a clay/pottery kit, mega bubble wand or bluetooth karaoke microphone.

Not Escapin Xmas

A card game. Sleeping Queens is the best :)

• Like 1

BeAwesome

I've already purchased stuff relating to hobbies (cheer and swimming), we have a huge Lego station at home already, so not that exciting to add to it. She doesn't like sitting and doing craft. Already ordered her a new board game. She does collect Pop Vinyls, but no current ones out she wants. She does like jewellery/nail polish etc, but she's having a big party and I'm pretty sure she'll get that stuff from friends.

BeAwesome

We're a huge board game family, and already have all the ones mentioned.

MsLaurie

A bubble machine?

Or if you have some backyard, a slip-and-slide.

BeAwesome

We don't have a backyard.

afterlaughter

Magnetic Tiles for alternative building option to LEGO?

Bereckii

Kinetic sand.

waawa17
[...] She does like jewellery/nail polish etc, but she's having a big party and I'm pretty sure she'll get that stuff from friends.

Nice jewellery box, nail polish rack, manicure kit and good glass nail files? Bedroom decor - new quilt, vinyl wall decals or art,

a piece of furniture? At that age mine started to really be into putting up posters from his fandoms and interests.

Edited by waawa17

eachschoolholidays

A new sparkly lunchbox from smiggle,

The latest copy of Total Girl (or something similar) and a subscription

AdelTwins

Build your own robot kit. The build-a-bot or Tobbie ones are quite good.

PatG

Not quite a toy. Terrarium kit?

BeAwesome

RynandStompy

One of those slap band toys with a stuffed toy on the end that talks and repeats back what you say.

Annoying as all get out but a huge hit with 7 and 8 year olds around here.

Or as a parent present..a fitbit or similar?

Edited by RynandStompy

Leslie Knope

My 9 year old DD likes stationery from Typo. They personalise some things, too.