Lallalla

Present at gender reveal?

Lallalla

Do you take a present to a gender reveal?

I’ve never been to one. My gut feeling is you do - I just hope this is instead of the baby shower not as well as....

JomoMum

How far along is the pregnancy?

Ruf~Feral~es

I flatly refuse to accept that this is a thing! (Sorry, I know that makes me sound old).

I would say no to a present - you don't know the gender yet! And I'd imagine there will be a baby shower to come? I'd save the present for then.......

• Like 14

BadCat

I wouldn't go. But if I did I wouldn't take a present.

• Like 10

seayork2002

I would not - especially if there is a baby shower, birth reveal party, come and meet the baby when its older party and 50 other baby parties ie an 'oops the scan people got it wrong' party

Edited by seayork2002
  • Like 3

wilding

I would not - especially if there is a baby shower, birth reveal party, come and meet the baby when its older party and 50 other baby parties ie an 'oops the scan people got it wrong' party

I wouldn't either. But mind you gender reveals aren't my cup a tea either.

• Like 2

BubbleBird

Maybe you should hold off on a gift until the child actually reveals it's gender......in the years to come Sorry, I hate the term 'gender reveal' because it is actually a 'sex reveal' but that doesn't sound so good

Either way, no I wouldn't take a gift. I would leave that until the baby shower or the birth.

• Like 17

Dianalynch

Gosh I’m old, I have no idea what the done thing is - I would have to quietly ask someone else who is going what they are doing, which is my only useful suggestion for you.

And agree with PPs, it’s a SEX REVEAL, and if that sounds stupid it’s because the concept is equally daft.

Sorry op, rant over.

• Like 11

MsLaurie

You could always take like a bunch of flowers, a hostess gift type thing, rather than a baby gift?

Then if others rock up with baby presents you can say “oh bubs will have plenty of time to be the centre of attention, I just thought i’d get a little something for you”

And equally, if it’s not s gift-y thing, you just hand over the flowers and say “saw these and thought of you, hope bubs is growing well and you’re feeling good!”

• Like 10

chicken_bits

My answer would depend on if this is in replace of a baby shower or not. I'm a very practical gift giver when it comes to baby gifts. So if it was in place of a baby shower I'd be taking a gift that was gender/sex neutral anyway (think nappeis, books, ubereats voucher etc). If it's in addition to a baby shower, I'd wait for the shower and give a gift then.

sahmie

No present for reveal. I’d imagine there will be an equally daft blue or pink themed party to follow.

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

Oh dear I am seriously old as well, never been to one, don’t see the point of a sex reveal, and wouldn’t give a gift.

At best I would give the host flowers as PP suggested or take a plate.

Jaffa donuts

A party? Does anyone other than the parents actually care what sex the baby is?

I mean, if it's a friend of course I care that they are having a baby and I am thrilled for them but the sex is neither her nor there to anyone outside the immediate family's surely? Throwing a party to announce it seems ridiculous. It's like throwing a party to announce your pregnancy.

I'm camp no gift

• Like 4

Cimbom

No gift. Maybe bake something if you must

spr_maiden

Do you people really have "gender" reveal parties? I honestly though it was just an "existing only in internet land", or American thing.

I like MsLaurie's idea of take a bunch a flowers

Ruf~Feral~es

Yes, I've always thought "only in America" too. Or Insta.

Here's my age - I miss the neighbourhood "pink or blue balloons on the letterbox" when the baby was born announcement.

Not the done thing anymore either, I suppose. Both the pink/blue sex discrimination, or the balloons for the environmental impact. #sadface.

• Like 1

Bethlehem Babe

Here's my age - I miss the neighbourhood "pink or blue balloons on the letterbox" when the baby was born announcement.

Not the done thing anymore either, I suppose. Both the pink/blue sex discrimination, or the balloons for the environmental impact. #sadface.

Nah, the reveals tend to do pink and blue surprise thing- open a box, cut a cake, pop a balloon, smash an egg etc.

• Like 1

Lucrezia Bauble

yes i must say i find them a bit of a ridiculous concept (i know the OP wasn’t asking for opinions, but even so) - there are entire twitter threads dedicated to When Gender Reveals Go Rong - there was one, can’t remember the details exactly - but it was all on film..they had a cake (i think) and they were to cut into it and it would reveal “blue inside” or “pink inside” (so progressive) so they were hovering over the cake, smiling for the camera about to cut into it...when the dog races up and just devours the entire thing...they didn’t even get a look at the inside - they’re racing after fido....calling him, telling him to spit it out - but to no avail. Gender Reveal Denied.

• Like 12

wilding

These days, it's burnouts etc.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/police-issue-warning-after-dangerous-gender-reveal-goes-wrong/news-story/82bd5b05210d5f27d0f86309d2c1709e

• Like 2

BadCat

yes i must say i find them a bit of a ridiculous concept (i know the OP wasn’t asking for opinions, but even so) - there are entire twitter threads dedicated to When Gender Reveals Go Rong - there was one, can’t remember the details exactly - but it was all on film..they had a cake (i think) and they were to cut into it and it would reveal “blue inside” or “pink inside” (so progressive) so they were hovering over the cake, smiling for the camera about to cut into it...when the dog races up and just devours the entire thing...they didn’t even get a look at the inside - they’re racing after fido....calling him, telling him to spit it out - but to no avail. Gender Reveal Denied.

Fido is a Very Good Dog.TM

• Like 4

Lallalla

No worries about the views - I am a bit bemused myself. But she came to my baby shower and has been to several of my kids birthdays over the years, I can’t just not go.

Also generally a quite down to earth person so I am really not sure there will be a gazillion follow up parties.

I’ll check what my friend who is also going is doing. I try to do practical non-gendered stuff anyway. The scan could be wrong and also, I feel like I could spend my life fighting all the pink and yet my girls would still end up looking like pink threw up on them.... no need to start it before you’ve even met the kid

• Like 3

Norma-Bean Baker

The one in America where they used coloured fireworks in the middle of a drought stricken field. It sparked a massive grass fire and the parents to be received a huge fine!

As for the gift? Buy something small you can keep in your handbag. If others are presenting gifts you can whip it out and not feel awkward. If not, you return it or add it to the main present when bub is born.

• Like 3

JomoMum

Regardless of whether it’s “a thing”, she’s been invited so here she is.

I asked about how far along the pregnancy is because if she’s only say 24 weeks, there’s every chance there will be another party down the track, in which case I’d just take a card and maybe a small $10 bunch of flowers.

If she’s say 35 weeks, let’s assume this is it for parties and choose a gift you might take for a baby shower (though I personally don’t like the notion of that either, but it’s the done thing apparently).

• Like 4

Hands Up

I’d make excuses not to go I think but if I did go I like the flowers idea.

I have a baby shower next weekend. Hardly any of my friends had them so I don’t know the done thing - I’ve bought quite an expensive present. Does this mean I can get away with flowers or a cooked meal when the baby arrives, ie no further presents? Sorry to hijack, OP!

• Like 3

Disydo2018

I would find the concept annoying but would feel I should bring a gift - if you’re going to go it kinda means you’re going along with it and I suspect that involves bringing a gift but I’m not really sure. I like the flowers idea as a happy medium.