Lallalla

Lady birds for aphids?

Lallalla

Our rose bushes are covered in flowers, and aphids. Has anyone tried releasing ladybird larvae on their bushes and did it work?

seayork2002

I think we used a spray bottle with water and dis washing liquid and sprayed twice a day (from memory)

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

Haven't tried that - though theoretically it should work. Where do you get ladybird larvae from?

We've had success with just using the hose with reasonable force to knock them off. Do for a few days in a row to break the breeding cycle. Though our rose bushes are large and strong so take this well - not sure how it would work for smaller, less established ones.

can'tstayaway

Our gardener used them for other gardens. He said that it needs to be a holistic balancing act for it to be sustainable. He would complain about people wanting the lady beetles instead of spraying or other treatments rather than understanding it’s just one element of the biodiversity in a garden.

wilding

Oh I looked at this awhile ago, but never got around to it. Be interesting to see if others have had much luck.

Bereckii

I think we used a spray bottle with water and dis washing liquid and sprayed twice a day (from memory)

Same.

ytt

Also has to be a certain type of ladybird apparently....