rubyskye

Illness and Childcare

Prancer is coming

I have had 3 kids through child care now and childcare did not make them sick. We might have got the odd cold, gastro or whatever, but nothing excessive and it could have been picked up outside of childcare anyway. Judy because some people have sick kids from childcare does not mean everyone will have problems.

Fluffy Potatoes

Another vote for depends on the kid and their immune system. Ds1 started at 5mths and was sick almost immediately. He had a constant cold, bronchiolitis, conjunctivitis, croup, gastro and pneumonia. ED trips every other month with multiple admissions. I stopped working when he was 2.5 it just wasn’t worth the cost to his health. By the time he hit preschool at 4.5 his immune system was stronger and asthma was under control. He still gets sick, but it’s not as bad.

Ds2 also has reactive airways, we’re not even going to attempt daycare for him. A runny nose for other kids usually results in 3-5 days of pred and a whole lot of ventolin for mine.

gracie1978

We had a totally awful first year, constant illnesses.

It didn't ease up till he was about four, but things were better when he got out of the baby room and exponentially better out of the toddler room.

A daycare that is strict but not silly about illness and has three rooms may make a difference.

Everything nasty this year has come out of the baby room and fortunately we haven't caught any of it.

We have 'cheated' a bit and have kept DS home during two gastro outbreaks and have juggled working from home. My boss hates vomit so he was all for preventative measures, plus I'm pregnant and miserable even without gastro.

Edited by gracie1978

nom_de_plume

Depends on the kids immune system and your center. Mine never had anything other than the odd cold and one bout of gastro. The youngest was prone to croup and would get it each winter until 5yo but that had nothing to do with childcare.

They’re all in school now and still only get the odd cold. We did get influenza A this year but that was from a family member, not school.

CrankyM

It is very dependant on the kid.

I have 1 who caught the very rare cold. He started daycare at 14 months. He still doesn’t catch much of anything. It’s just him.

My next child caught every damned thing going around. He had other things going on though. I still think we would have had most of the sickness even without daycare. He very very very rarely gets or got sick once he started 4yr kindy.

And yeah most kids I know? If they haven’t been to daycare they catch everything under the sun once they start school. Honestly I just send him to daycare. He might get sick, he might not. And I don’t know that ear infections are something he would catch from daycare anyway. My kids got a lot out of daycare that they didn’t get at home or with the activities I could do with them.

Edited by mayahlb

MadMarchMasterchef

DS is 18m ans isnt in childcare, yet gets sick frequently when I take him to swimming or play centers... so I dont think we are avoiding it just by avoiding childcare! Plus DH and I are both teachers, so I'm sure we bring home some bugs too...

Both good points. Parents can bring home a lot of bugs that might not make them obviously sick but will make the baby with its less evolved immune system sick. Especially if the parents catch PT to work :(

froglett

Depends on the kid. My son was a bit sick (probably not 6 months of hell sick, but like your son got ear infections which was crap).

But my daughter - that kid has a constitution of steel. Just doesn't seem to get that sick.

Lime-Polka-Dot

It really depends, but isn't uncommon for the first year of childcare to have a higher amount of illness- not just for children, but also for staff. My first year back after 2 years at home with DD was my worst of many. DD copped a lot that year too as it was her first year in care at the same place I worked.

She's still been sick a few times a year, through part time childcare and FYOS over the past 3 years. My immune system has seemed to readjust, I get a hint of being off a few times a year, but rarely become bedridden sick.