Sign in to follow this  
Just Jack

Present ideas?

Just Jack

An awesome educator is leaving the kids' childcare to go back to her home country. We'd like to get her a present, but it has to be something small obviously as she's packing up all her things to take with her. I don't know what vouchers might be usable in her home country. Present ideas???

Ivy Ivy

Well in my younger years, when I earned the little that childcare workers earn, frankly the thing I'd have most appreciated was money.

I never really know if money is crass or not as a gift to an adult.

We recently passed a hat around for the young sports coaches of my daughter's team, the mums were all brainstorming gift and voucher ideas, but then the mum organising it ran out of time and just divvied up all the cash collected between the 2 young coaches, and apparently they were stoked.

Mrs Claus

Something Australian maybe? A nice Australian Christmas decoration or some jewellery?

Just Jack

Thank you. They are both good ideas.

I wonder if she'd find it weird if we just gave her cash and maybe something little to go with it..

Babetty

I'd go with cash - with a nice note acknowledging that you wanted to show your appreciation but thought she wouldn't want more "stuff" to move.

What is her home country? I'm sure there will be an EBer who can advise on whether cash is culturally ok!

eachschoolholidays

Give her some currency from the country she’s moving to so that she can go out for the dinner

Bearynice

Small token gift of earrings, bag tag or a bookmark

Then I’d put some cash in a card. We all know how little child care workers get paid

Just Jack

I'd go with cash - with a nice note acknowledging that you wanted to show your appreciation but thought she wouldn't want more "stuff" to move.

What is her home country? I'm sure there will be an EBer who can advise on whether cash is culturally ok!

Thanks, that's a good idea to put it that way.

She's going home to Russia.

And yes, very conscious of how little child care workers are paid, so gift cards are our usual presents - but not much use for someone heading home to Russia!