Sign in to follow this  
JuliaD

Highly Emotional 4yo

JuliaD

My 4yo DD is highly sensitive/emotional and just wondering whether it's in the realm of normal or should I seek further help?

Last night for example - we were watching a movie that she'd seen a thousand times before (Peter Rabbit) and she became inconsolable towards the end where Peter's tree fell over. I gave her a hug, told her it was just a movie/make believe and that there would be a happy ending etc but it took a very long time to calm her down.

She'll bring up things that happened a week ago - H from preschool was mean to me and just fall to pieces. Again taking a long time to calm down.

Being told no or not getting her way is a nightmare - I don't give in, but I do pick my battles.

I've always been fairly gentle with her, especially for things such as the top 2 examples and provided comfort. Recently I've tried to introduce some calming strategies such as visualisation, counting or breathing but usually she's so lost in her moment that I can't get her to focus on anything but that.

There isn't too much in her life that is negative - stable, loving, happy home environment, plenty of friends, not being bullied at preschool etc.

I'm just at a loss as to what to do - ride it out or seek help?? Help!

AnythingGoes

I've no idea if it is normal or not but DS is vey much like that. I still remember him around 3 being inconsolable about a mangy feather he had found and lost about 5 mins later. The sobbing (with occasional wailing 'but I loved it soooo much') went for at least an hour and it took him months to stop bringing it up.

At 7 he is still very sensitive to books, TV, and he really struggles to let go of any belongings. But now it tends to be tears in his eyes not wailing and sobbing. Last week he was quietly crying during robot wars because someone had decorated their robot with a toy that got knocked off and lost (presumably destroyed). But then in the next minute he was cheering another robot being destroyed.

I also remember him getting upset about other children in childcare - thinking they were being mean to him if they knocked into him or something. By school age he understood what was accidental versus deliberate much better.

newmumandexcited

My 4 yo is very like this. Change terrifies him and he brings up things long forgotten and is upset by them. No delays, bullying etc... it’s hard work!