tinselfoil hat

Food intolerance and anxiety

tinselfoil hat

Is it possible for gluten intolerance to cause anxiety? I am aware intolerances such as amines/salicylates/glutamates can cause behavioural changes, but what about gluten?

3 yr old DD is likely gluten intolerant (there is a small chance she is coeliac as we haven’t done a second round of testing to confirm yet). She was mistakenly fed gluten last week which has coincided with a spike in anxiety. What’s the chances this is related?

Thank you EB brains!

Behind Hazel Eyes

No idea on a direct link, but does she sleep worse after ingesting gluten? Eating foods I'm intolerant too makes me sleep badly which increases my anxiety a lot. I don't think think it's directly causal for me.

FeralZombieMum

Yes!

My coeliac DD gets more anxious when glutened.

Also, before diagnosis, she was pretty anxious and grumpy with would have been linked to low iron and being low in other nutrients. She was a changed child 2 weeks later on a gluten free diet.

Avocado tree

Yes, we are currently trialling reduced gluten for our son. I have noticed a difference in anxiety levels. It also affects his ability to get to sleep.

tinselfoil hat

Thank you for the responses. Although that wasn’t what I was hoping to hear as I guess accidental exposure will be a part of life, it is reassuring that this anxious spike might just be a bump in the road.

Interesting about the sleep too. She’s been getting to sleep ok but very very easily waking. Was up at 4 this morning which is really out of character, she was weeping in her bed and I think it was because she was scared. I’ve also woken her/made her stir a couple of times this week whilst checking on her at night. Usually she’d sleep through this. I hope it passes quickly. It’s so cruel how much it affects her.