Sign in to follow this  
qak

Business cards - working from home

qak

I've been dragging my feet on getting a business card printed. Now that I've finally got a logo design I can use, I'm into the specifics of what to put on the card.

As per title - I work from home. My office is not 'open to the public' as such - I will see clients at my house if necessary (but I'd rather not). I do have a PO Box for mail.

Would you put your home address on the business card?

What do people have on their cards these days? I suppose I have the following which could appear:

Name

Qualifications

Job title (have to think about this one ... Principal?)

Business Name

Home/Street Address

PO Box address

Mobile Number

Email - direct or general

Website address

WDYT?

Mose

Do you really need a business card?

I work for a large international professional services firm, and many of the partners no longer use business cards. They just aren't necessary for most people anymore, not the way they were ten or twenty years ago, before LinkedIn etc.

Edited by Mose
  • Like 1

hills mum bec

I wouldn’t put your home address on the card, your PO box should be fine. I probably wouldn’t bother with a job title but the rest of the info you have listed would be good.

• Like 3

BornToLove

I wouldn’t include your home address unless you regularly have clients/meetings in your home.

For your title, I would use your generic field like ‘accountant’ ‘graphic designer’ or ‘psychologist’ over something like ‘principal’ or even owner. This is what a see most often on business cards.

I would use the following:

Your name, Qualifications

Field/area of expertise

Business Name

PO Box address

Mobile Number

Direct email

Website address

• Like 1

Threelittleducks

I would leave off street address. This gives option of using serviced meeting rooms if you want to in the future.

Use the email address you want to receive email at.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Newbutoldish

I’d get a PO Box. They don’t cost very much and you can claim it as a business expense.

Luci

DH works from home. His business card has his name, the company name, mobile number, email address and website.

• Like 3

born.a.girl

My business office was at home, and I didn't want people at the warehouse if I wasn't there, so neither address was on our information.

When I mistakenly did, in the early days, I had people turn up at the front door, with the house a train wreck, so I soon learnt from that mistake.

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

My cards have logo, name, title (owner, head machinist, boss, etc.. bit of humour), email, phone and facebook link.

I don't have my address on it nor on my facebook page. I don't have a website.

Unless clients will be sending you stuff there is no need to give an address.

You could also put ABN if you wanted. I don't have it on my cards, just on my invoices.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach

BIL worked from home until a month ago & for contact details, he has phone number, email address & po box.

• Like 1

FindingZen

I would put:

Name

Professional Qualification (if relevant) | Director

Mobile

Email

Website

I have been given two recently (after none for a couple of years). One has the above + social media logos as relevant at the bottom of the card. One has added on the back the main services they provide.

They are being used less and less, with many using the signature block of their email to provide all requisite information but if you're stapling it (or putting it inside) an information pack or paper based quote it can still be useful.

• Like 2

qak

Thanks!

It will be used (hopefully) more as a referral tool, as I'm finding people want to pass on my details to others - I'd like to make that as easy as possible!

Grrrumbles

I would put your suburb or town only if it was relevant eg I would like to know if a plumber or electrician that I might call out at short notice is local to me but not as relevant for other services. If the nature of you business is that you don’t service a specific geographical area then I would leave it off.

I do find some business websites that don’t say where the business is located to be unnerving. Some are so generic that you have no idea whether they are a one person operation or nationwide business. So I like to see something along the lines of ‘Sally and Robert are based in Geelong and service the metropolitan area and surrounding towns.’

But I wouldn’t expect to see that on a business card unless if was really relevant.

JomoMum

I think it depends on your industry as to how much you need to put on there. Are there registration/license numbers etc.

I have

Locations we cover

Business name and ABN

Name

Mobile number

Facebook

Instagram