Sign in to follow this  
Grassyrat

Early premature Labour

Grassyrat

I'm currently 34+6 and had an unwanted trip to the hospital yesterday with early contractions. Baby is not in distress thank goodness but I'm already 1cm dilated. I'm on strict bed rest for the foreseeable future. My obs gave me the option of staying overnight or going home on the proviso if the contractions became more frequent or I experienced any bleeding / reduced Bub movement come straight back. I took option B as I thought I'd be less likely to freak out.

Of course like every mum to be I had 1000 things planned to achieve before baby's arrival but that's now all out the Window! Contractions have eased off over night thank goodness but I need some good news stories on how long bedrest has lasted as they said to me it would be great if I can get to 36 weeks, but the midwife didn't look confident!

UndergroundKelpie

My waters broke with my second child at 27 weeks and she was born at 30 weeks. I was on strict bed rest in hospital though.

Good luck making it to 36 weeks. It is doable.

• Like 1

Riotproof

Hi, I had completely different circumstances, but my daughter born at 29 weeks sits beside me.

Are you going to stay in hospital? Tbh, I’d recommend it if you won’t truly rest at home.

The good news is, babies born after 34 weeks have a great survival rate, so you are already there! Try not to worry too much.

• Like 2

Mooples

I went into labour at 34 weeks exactly. Same thing, mid wife and my ob didn’t think I’d be able to hold on long but let me go home as long as I rested. I was monitored very closely (hospital every second day and ob’s office on the opposite days) and was to be induced at 36 weeks. The night before my induction at 35+6 I went into full blown labour and ds arrived in the morning. Good luck!

• Like 1

Grassyrat

Thanks for the good news stories ladies, you have helped to put my mind at ease.

I am at home, just because I know I'll relax more. I have my husband and mum not letting me lift a finger, the most I'm doing is getting off the lounge to go to the bathroom or make a cup of tea.

• Like 1

.Jerry.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

My 27 weeker baby is now almost 14. You and the baby will be well looked after if things start earlier than you planned. :)

(just have your bag packed in case, ;) I went into hospital with nothing!)

• Like 1

kidwrangler

Had a 32 weeker and my next at almost 36 weeks.

32 weeker spent just under 6 weeks in SCN but is now a happy & healthy teenager. My 36 week baby went straight into my arms, stayed in the room with me, came home as normal and is a happy & healthy pre-teen.

You're at a great survivable point and hopefully will need minimal interventions. All the best.

• Like 2

Riotproof

DH can make the tea. ;) find something to tv binge on and do rest.

Don’t forget to update us.

• Like 2

Fluffy Potatoes
  • Like 1

Grassyrat

I madly packed a bag yesterday, but didn't have so many things (who has maternity pads at home)?! So I've sent mum on a mission to fill in all the gaps!

It's head is so low the midwife had to move it out the way to get to my cervix - really feels like it's going to fall out. But no contractions thank goodness.

rowd

My waters broke and I went into labour at 31 weeks. With meds to stop labour and a long hospital stay (not bed rest though) I made it to 35+4. All the best, hope baby stays put for a while yet.

• Like 1

cvbn

My 35 weeker twins spent a week in SCBU but my four other babies, 36 weekers, all came home with me, two on the same day.

Good luck!

PS Nipple shields are great if you want to breast feed and the baby is a bit small to attach.

• Like 2

Grassyrat

Just a quick update and a huge thank you to everyone who posted while I was freaking out! You all helped to put my mind at ease.

I managed to hold on until 39 weeks and had a beautiful slightly big, (I'm 5'2 and 50kg) baby girl via elective Caesar. She was 3.62kg and 51cm of perfection and we are loving every minute with our little lady

• Like 12

Jamelex

Such good news, congratulations and well done!

• Like 1

CrankyM

Wonderful news! My 2nd child was a similar story. I went into preterm labour at 34+5. Was even sent to another hospital on the royal flying doctor plane. Everything ended up being fine and despite being 2-3cm they said it was an irritable uterus. He turned up at 38+5 and was 3.93kg.

• Like 1