Sign in to follow this  
Charli73

7yo and feet/gait issues- podiatrist?

Charli73

Hi

My 7yo has get that turn in slightly when she walks and we’ve noticed her knees knock a big when she walks. She saw a podiatrist who has since closed when she was 2 who said she would grow out if it and not to worry.

It’s now 5 years later and We haven’t grown out if it. Do I just see a podiatrist?

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne around Blackburn?

BusbyWilkes

If it were just her feet, I would see a podiatrist. Given that you mentioned knock knees etc, I would see a paediatric physio first, to assess her gait.

• Like 4

Lees75

That sounds more like something that needs to be assessed by a Physio.

• Like 2

livingos

My just turned 7 year old has been doing physio for the same symptoms. She has soles for her shoes from a podiatrist as well.

They have done core exercises with her and it really helped quickly.

Lunafreya

Physio first, the problem might be in a different area and manifesting that way in her feet. Need to treat everything. Then the physio will say if she needs a podiatrist.

I had the same problem at that age and saw both.

• Like 2

EPZ

May need orthotics also? Sometimes knee issues are caused by their feet.

My son’s feet are too flexible. He needs to wear orthotics for life. If untreated, he will certainly need to have his knees done down the track.

Weird for them to say she will grow out of it, it needs to be corrected.

Since having them he runs better, feels more comfortable wearing them, knees are pointed straight - rather than inwards. It’s made a huge difference.

• Like 1

José

id also suggest a physio. and wonder if they will recommend an orthotist for custom orthotics.

Clementinerose

You could try seeing the gp first and getting a care plan. It will cover the cost of some of the appointments for you if it is going to be ongoing

• Like 1

Dianalynch

I would also ask about possible hip dysplasia with the GP, who may recommend an xray. I think that may be an important thing to rule out with knock knees.

Charli73

She did have the hips xrayed as a baby and it was ruled out but were off to the GP today so I will ask anyway.

Might book physio too.

Thanks all