WaitForMe

Non-pasteurised/treated mulch

WaitForMe

So the local council puts out a big heap of mulch that you can use for free. It is made from the mulching of branch etc trimmings from local parks and council owned properties. Mostly native plants.

They say its unpasteurised and not to use it on veg patches, best to only use on native gardens and areas free of plants.

This seems a bit hardcore to me and something you'd say if you don't want to deal with people complaining about something free. But I'm not particularly good at gardening and don't really know much.

I'd like to put it around some fruit trees. Is that a good or bad idea? Its not a veg patch afterall, but its also not a native garden.

I'm trying to save money, we usually put down pea straw which mostly just blows away tbh.

purplekitty

One of the issues is with mulch made from diseased plants.

ali-song

DH (arborist) says it would be fine for around fruit trees.

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

If it’s really fresh, as it decomposes, it will get hot and burn shallow roots. It also uses nitrogen as it breaks down so not ideal.

You’re better off using a compost that’s aged and will keep the roots of the plant cool, moist and add nutrients as it breaks down.

JomoMum

I’m always mindful there could be termites in that stuff too .. you never know what trees they’re cutting down and from where.

VigilantePaladin

I’m always mindful there could be termites in that stuff too .. you never know what trees they’re cutting down and from where.

Not likely. Termites don't hang around once they're disturbed and would be unlikely to survive mulching.

seayork2002

We use mushroom compost with sugar cane mulch for the veg patches.

I would use it for fruit trees but I would follow theor advice for veg patch.