Ghost Girl

x-box or play station for first time gamer

Ghost Girl

So my DD turning 9 soon, is turning out to be a bit of a gamer. Loves playing roblox and mine craft. We have an old Wii which has been fun to play the family resort games and, singing, dancing ones. She has asked for a gaming system from Santa for Xmas as the Wii is pretty dead and we cant buy new games for it. So was wanting to know from anyone who has walked this path, what is better for the tweens and family games ? x-box or play- station. Any advice greatly appreciated. Dont expect it to last a lifetime but a good 4-5 years would be good.

Ayr

Edited by Ayr
  • Like 1

littleboysmum

Definitely play station. X box games seem to be for older teens/ adults. Nintendo switch is also a good option for a 9 year old.

JustBeige

Ah this is a hard one. its also dependent on who the people she plays with use.

DS has the xbox - started with the 360. He saved and bought the xbox one for himself and that is his 'go to' machine.

We bought him the top model PS a couple of years ago and he rarely plays it.

tbh I would probably go with the Xbox one as you can get lots of young games, You can also fiddle with the parental controls so she cant talk or chat to others unless you allow her.

We did that with DS and it worked well

• Like 1

AdelTwins

Nintendo switch or PS4 here.

amdirel

We love the Switch here. We've got a wii which doesn't get much use, and a Playstation something which gets occasional use. The switch is great as you buy the games online and store them on your account, so no clutter of game cases.

MooGuru

As a non gamer in a relationship with a gamer who has had both I'd pick a playstation.

- I find it easier to use with more games of interest (not just shoot em up style ones).

- our first PS lasted 6 years vs the 3 years we had the xbox before encountering enough problems we got the PS4 which has been going fine for 2 years now I think (although it has just started making a weird noise on being switched on).

Eta I know a couple of people with kids that age who like the Nintendo switch.

Edited by MooGuru

laridae

Unless there is a particular game she wants that is only available on one or the other, either would be fine. Most games will be available for both. If she has friends that game it would be a good idea to get the same as them, so they can play mulitplayer.

Other than that, I'd just go which which has the best bundle.

One advantage that the Xbox one has is that there is a large library of Xbox 360 games that also work on it. And going forward it's likely that Xbox one game will be backwards compatible with whatever console they come out with next. PS4 you can't do this.

Edited by laridae

chillipeppers

Another one here who thinks a switch is better for this age. We have the switch, Xbox and ps4 and that is also the order that they are played in.

Bugster

A switch definitely. Lots of fun multiplayer games.

My son has an Xbox & it seems more flexible for ‘group play’ (over the Internet or wifi) then friends PlayStations but I know very little about it. He chose it, he loves gaming

Ghost Girl

Thanks so much to everyone who respondered. So much to think about. I liked the look of the switch but wasvworried about another hand held device. Was really wanting to have something that stsyed in the fsmily space.

Ayr

Edited by Ayr

Cherubs

I am not sure about that age, but for my teens when they first started playing, they weren’t allowed to talk to randoms, I got what their friends played, so the boys have PS4 and DD has Xbox one, the boys are older now so don’t interfere, but DD 13 I still make her unplug her mic and she has to explain who everyone is and how she knows them in real life.

3babygirls

I'm a gamer. We have a xbox and a switch. I love love love the switch and also the xbox.

At that age i'd buy a switch unless she's going to be into any shooter type games, then i'd go with the xbox.

Switch is an awesome family console. Mario party, kart, just dance etc. so much fun. Also can get minecraft on it too

• Like 1

BeAwesome

I have a DD11 and 7 and they both love the Switch. They like Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Just Dance etc.

If you didn't want another Nintendo, I'd pick a Playstation before an XBox for that age.

Charli73

My kids play with dad’s Xbox (he is an old time gamer) and they have lego Jurassic world etc games they play with dad. My 8yo DS has asked about a switch and I might consider it moving forward.

seayork2002

DS12 has had a PS4 for 2 years, he is not in to gaming massively and only plays on and off from Fri-Sunday night

Hypnic Jerk

If he's into Minecraft and wants to have his own Realm then is an Xbox over PS4. No idea about Switch.

We have both a PS3 and and XBox and wanted to be able to connect DS to other kids from school on Minecraft so they could play in a secure world. My gamer stepson said it could only be done (or best be done?) via the xbox.

Unfortunately this meant that DS has discovered Goat Simulator and has barely touched minecraft since.

It's as ridiculous as it looks

Ayr
On 23/09/2019 at 5:48 AM, Ayr said: