petal71

Agent issues - conflict

petal71

Deleted - thanks for all replies!

Edited by petal71

SeaPrincess

You can speak to other agents about what you’re looking for and see if they can show you new listings before they go to market.

If you are prepared to put in an offer in writing, put it in for what you think it’s worth. It opens up negotiations and the seller can counter offer. If you miss out, so be it. We paid a bit more for our house than we wanted to, but I can’t even remember now what we paid. I remember what it was listed for, and we tried to get it for that price including stamp duty, but had to come up a bit. No regrets though.

petal71

Thanks SP, good point about other agents. I will try that.

Also think I need to play much more of a straight bat with this agent. Ie not react to anything they say and give a standard "I'll think about it".

• Like 1

Holly298

With all the other houses they showed you before , have they all sold? In this market there is no stock so homes do sell quicker - I sell many off market homes to my good buyers (buyers who we’ve worked with who can act quickly, have finance ect)

If you know the agent, they have been in business for a while and have a good reputation (especially in a smaller town surely someone you know will know them?) then trust what they say - yes we “work” for the owner but we have to treat buyers fairly as they then become our new clients and to last in this business you need a good reputation , all my business these days is old clients - at the end of the day you can research what these homes are all selling for and decide if you choose to pay more to secure it first or if it’s really the home you want buyers do pay extra to secure it

• Like 2

petal71

Thanks for your perspective as an agent, Holly. Much appreciated. Yes good point that buyers become clients when they sell.

Edited by petal71

petal71

deleted

Edited by petal71

Dianalynch

don't buy from the same agent....talk to a few other agents and see what they have off market, or about to come onto the market...and hold out for the price you want on your place, as long as it's realistic.

• Like 1

petal71

deleted

Edited by petal71

MsLaurie

If properties are selling reasonably well, then so long as you have a lengthy settlement on what you’re buying, you should be okay to sell yours in turn.

Do your sums with worst case scenario- highest you’d be able to go on what you’re buying plus lowest you would realistically accept on what you’re selling. Then if you love this place, go for it with an offer that you think is reasonable. Even if it’s not as high as a previous offer on a different house- just explain why, eg “this one only has a study not a true extra bedroom” or “this one isn’t north facing” or “the block isn’t as big” etc etc so the agent is clear on why you you are offering that price, and can in turn explain to the vendor why it’s a reasonable offer they should accept

• Like 2

petal71

Thanks MsLaurie.

Edited by petal71