Sign in to follow this  
Future-self

Best egg replacer for cake?

Future-self

Hi everyone,

I usually bake for dairy and soy free but now need an egg replacer too for a child that is allergic to egg, peanuts and soy.

Can anyone recommend what works best in cupcakes? happy to buy a commercial product form woolies or coles or use something like homemade applesauce but would like recommendations for what works best :)

eleventyseven

Hello, after mucking about with this for a while I have actually found for baking I simply leave out egg! I have been doing this for around 4 years for DD 6 (allergic to egg dairy nuts seeds sesame soy) and it works just fine - people are really surprised as you really can't tell. Mind you, we use normal flour (not gluten free) so I wonder if that helps. Anyway, haven't used egg substitutes in baking for years.

I have a great cupcake recipe I can share if you like. I also do same for pancakes, meatballs and most patties...I have found that most things are totally fine without it! You just have to muck about with consistency here and there but it's been fine for us.

:)

Edited by eleventyseven
  • Like 1

Jenflea

My friend whose child is ana to eggs and nuts uses apple puree mostly, and sometimes beetroot in her chocolate cakes.

• Like 1

Future-self

It never occurred to me to just leave it out! Thank you! Would love your cupcake recipe eleventyseven :)

Thanks RP. Does that recipe go to cupcakes ok? DS doesn’t like chocolate cake so they’ll need to be vanilla, i wonder if i just use more flour and leave out the cocoa

• Like 1

eleventyseven

Sure thing :)

Can I attach to this thread or email you...I have them all in a folder (too much to type here!)

Riotproof

It never occurred to me to just leave it out! Thank you! Would love your cupcake recipe eleventyseven :)

Thanks RP. Does that recipe go to cupcakes ok? DS doesn’t like chocolate cake so they’ll need to be vanilla, i wonder if i just use more flour and leave out the cocoa

I did wonder. What a weird child! Lol.

If you search for vanilla wacky cake, you’ll find it. I used to make with liners and it was always good.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach

I used apple puree with bicarb with a packet mix.

Worked perfectly & couldnt taste the apple.

5lilchicks

Not sure if you can still get it but I used to add "No Egg" egg replacement powder to any cakes etc for my daughter when she was anaphylactic to egg. You couldn't tell the difference.

blackcat20

Not sure if you can still get it but I used to add "No Egg" egg replacement powder to any cakes etc for my daughter when she was anaphylactic to egg. You couldn't tell the difference.

I just bought some from Coles.

• Like 1

Fluffy Potatoes

Orgran (sp?) makes a good egg replacer, but I have tried it in a cake as yet.

iwanttosleepin

For a vanilla version of that recipe...switch the cocoa for vanilla custard powder

FretfulMum

I normally make a ‘chia egg’ (chia seeds & water then blend to make smooth). Cupcakes and cakes normally turn out great!

eachschoolholidays

I use this cake all the time - egg, dairy, nut, and soy free... and it tastes amazing!