Whattothink

Reading assessment year 2 - for the teachers

Whattothink

Thank you ☺️

EPZ

This is true, however once a child can read a level 30, running records are not necessarily the best way of assessing reading. We do not test students who are reading above level 30, we run one on one reading conference with personal goal setting.

Correct, every child has a personal reading and writing goal (Even in younger years). Teachers still also use letter matrix all the way though, at our school.

Expelliarmus

One last question, if a child is put in a group to help with their learning external to normal class, would you expect a letter to come home?

Once again just trying to find out the norm.

Thanks

Yes.

The student may be tested there, not with the class teacher.

I would test Year 2 students once per term.

Whattothink

Thank you ☺️

CrankyM

My oldest has been attending external classroom literacy intervention every year since he started primary school. We are always sent a letter when it starts and one at the end of term half the time too.

Dianalynch

Once a term is the experience with my kid - and yes you should be informed

Whattothink

Thanks again ☺️

OneDayDreamer

My oldest has been attending external classroom literacy intervention every year since he started primary school. We are always sent a letter when it starts and one at the end of term half the time too.

Might also be worth knowing that there are some literacy (or numeracy) interventions that occur inside the classroom (LLI, ERIK etc) and these require letters home too, so that schools can, if appropriate, receive funding for them.

CrankyM

Might also be worth knowing that there are some literacy (or numeracy) interventions that occur inside the classroom (LLI, ERIK etc) and these require letters home too, so that schools can, if appropriate, receive funding for them.

There could be. I know my boy has had the spelling program adapted to him because he needs more explicit instruction then most of the most (he has a variety of diagnosis that impact English), but I have only ever received letters about his participation in minilit and macqlit. The other stuff is covered in our meetings every term.