babybug15

Reverse cycle air con brands

babybug15

So we are looking at replacing our ducted gas heating (& really useless tacked on air con) with ducted reverse cycle air conditioning.

All the quotes have different brands of air con- but of course I haven't been able to find reviews of the specific models.

So, any thoughts on the differences between Dakin, Panasonic or Fujitsu as brands for this? Or possible review sites for specific models?

Magnolia2

We have a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries unit, a model recommended in Choice magazine (bought 12 months ago) in the baby’s room and tbh I’m not thrilled. It’s loud and the variance in temps is too large (ie you can set it on low fan 18 degrees (heating, not auto mode - which is worse) overnight and it can go as high as 22... so it gets a bit hot for DS. Same goes for air con in summer. Customer service not great - the suggestion has been made that the temperature discrepancy is normal and for us to suck it up. 4 degrees is a bit much though! BUT if it’s not for a baby’s room - ie you’re happy to adjust it as needed, not just leave it on overnight - then it could be ok?

My parents on the other hand got big, top of the line Daikin units (9w!) and they are great at warming up or cooling down a huge space with cathedral ceilings.. Keep to the set temperature, easy to use, very quiet.

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

Daikin.

Are you looking more for heating or cooling? The daikin goes better in cold weather, something to do with the outdoor unit not freezing up and hence stopping the heat pump from working. We have had ours for 13 years now and still going strong.

• Like 2

SeaPrincess

We’ve got Daikin, and we had Daikin in our previous house as well, although we didn’t install either system. TBH, we don’t use the heating much - I don’t like the dryness of the heat. We use the a/c a lot in summer though. We get it serviced about every 2 years.

• Like 1

EmmDasher
  • Like 1

Froyo

Daikin all the way.

• Like 2

Gumbette

DH is an ex air conditioning mechanic- never recommends anything but Daikin. It’s what we have (new build - he did the install). His reasoning - they’re best (great customer service & reliable) and they don’t make anything else. It’s where all their R&D go.

• Like 1

Luci

Another vote for Daikin. Had it is several houses - sometimes we installed it and sometimes it was already in the house when we moved in. Never had any problems.

• Like 1

~LemonMyrtle~

We have 2 daikins. One split system and one ducted. Both are 8 or 9kW. They are working really well.

I wanted daikin because they’re supposed to be one of the quietest. Keep in mind that if your neighbours can hear your A/C unit inside their home, then you will have limited daytime hours that you can use it. And sometimes you will need it overnight or early morning and you don’t want to be waking the neighbours. Our outside units are right on the fence line.

Also keep in mind, if you’re in Melbourne, you need a unit that won’t frost up when it’s -5 outside, and also won’t overheat and turn off when it’s 45 outside in the shade. Not many cheaper units can handle both conditions. (We actually once had a gas ducted system that wouldn’t work if it was below 0 outside, not good when I had babies at home and it was freezing!! but that’s another story)

• Like 1

babybug15

Thanks everyone- I don't think I've seen so many replies in agreement here before!

We're in Canberra- so yes any system needs to handle both -10C and 40C! Though it will mostly be used for heating- I can vent the house in the morning and there's tree cover to assist with cooling so most days we can make do without it.