Sign in to follow this  
JomoMum

What is considered “sudden or excessive weight gain”?

JomoMum

It’s been 6 years since my first pregnancy so I feel like I’ve forgotten how it all went the first time, forgive me if I’m being a worry wart.

I’m 21w and have gained 6kg, but started with a BMI of 28 so am trying to be mindful of gaining too much this time, for my own health.

I track my weight in an app every week or two, and I’ve gained 1.5 kg in 10 days .. to me this sounds like a lot. I don’t have any other concerning symptoms, other than very slightly puffy ankles at the end of the day but they subside over night.

What would be considered sudden and excessive?

I’m really not obsessing over weight for superficial reasons. I have health conditions that will be exacerbated if I become too heavy, so I am just trying to be sensible and aim for a 12-15kg gain rather than the 23 I did first time around.

rosie28

That doesn’t sound sudden or excessive to me, I’ve always struggled to gain weight in pregnancy (HG and severe MS make it a challenge) but when I do gain weight it has been 1-1.5kgs in a week. I’m 26w now and have gained 3kgs but it’s been in 2 x 1.5 in a week lots. Similar with my previous pregnancies.

EsmeLennox

I think that’s fine during pregnancy. I can fluctuate that much in 24 hours!

• Like 1

Soontobegran

That does not raise red flags to me, it sounds completely normal progression of weight gain half way through your pregnancy.

Sudden and excessive weight gain is used to describe overnight gain generally due to oedema that may occur with the onset of pre eclampsia......

JomoMum

Thank you all, definitely put my mind at ease.

And thank you STBG, I was hoping you might be able to respond.

Edited by JomoMum