Sign in to follow this  
MadMarchMasterchef

Flu Shot in Kids under 9

MadMarchMasterchef

My DD (age 6) had her first flu shot a month ago and was booked for her second today as we were told they need a second one in a month if they are under 9.

Today she is vomiting so obviously cant have it and the nurse isn't on for another couple of weeks. So my question is can I wait a couple of weeks or should I ring around and find somebody else who can do it on Monday?

Its fairly high importance they get the flu shot done according to GP as I have a small baby. We would have done it earlier but everywhere had run out of stock!

tryagain2

I don't think I'd wait a couple of weeks.

Off the CDC website:

"The second dose should be given at least 28 days after the first dose.The first dose “primes” the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose but need two doses can have reduced or no protection from a single dose of flu vaccine"

• Like 1

SplashingRainbows

I’d try for Monday.

• Like 1

Behind Hazel Eyes

First as in never had it before? They only need a 2nd dose the first year they have it. Our gp recommended a month between doses when we did the 2 last year. Only had to do one this year since they had it last year.

• Like 1

rosie28

I wouldn’t put it off a couple of weeks, maybe try for early next week?

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

First as in never had it before? They only need a 2nd dose the first year they have it. Our gp recommended a month between doses when we did the 2 last year. Only had to do one this year since they had it last year.

Yes she had it a month ago, this is the first year she has ever had it.

I asked a couple of years ago and at that point in time the doctor had said for her not to get it (I think that was when there were issues in WA) but this year they said very important to get it as I have a baby.

Mollyksy

We never got back to get DS his second dose his first year, he was 3.5, due to mum dying and me losing it to be brutally honest. The following year they said just the one dose.

For what it's worth, one dose seemed to work but I agree getting in asap to get it is the best idea.

MadMarchMasterchef

Thanks everyone, Ive booked her in for Monday.

Shes 90% better so we think it was a dodgy sausage from the basketball bbq last night!