Avocado tree

Shower cleaning - what do you do?

Avocado tree

Boring topic but all of my adult life the one housekeeping thing that has always stumped me is how to keep my showers clean! Doesn’t matter if they are made up of mostly glass screens , all tile (I have a combination of both in this house) , I haven’t developed a good system. I admit that I shower without my contact lenses in, so I only occasionally catch a glimpse of the true state of them, and am then horrified and hit them with a chemical cocktail of mould killer, soap scum remover etc.

So, if I was the world’s best housekeeper, what method, products and routine/frequency would I be using? Thanks!

• Like 2

Expelliarmus

I also shower without lenses of any type. I rarely know how disgusting my shower is.

According to my friend who has a cleaning business Domestos is the go to. So I bought some a few weeks ago.

I anticipate my showers are going to look great when I use it.

• Like 4

LiveLife

Have a squeegee in the shower and use it on the glass after every shower. Really helps prevent the scum buildup on shower screens

Use shampoos, body washes etc that are colour free if possible

Those are my two best tips for making the job easier. Because, like you, I’m not actually that great at cleaning the shower so find it easier to prevent the issue

• Like 2

~LemonMyrtle~

I have a cleaner, lol.

Before we had a cleaner though, I would keep a steel scourer in the shower, and i use that and any old shampoo to scrub all the soap scum off, while I’m actually in the shower. Maybe once a week. It’s easiest to wash it and rinse it when you’re naked and wet in there. And using shampoo means it’s pretty non toxic. Then I finish my shower.

Then once a month it needs Exit Mould for the mould, cause mould doesn’t really scrub off. Do not do this while you are in the shower! Good ventilation required. It’s toxic stuff but does the trick.

I still use exit mould every few months as the Cleaner doesn’t (and nor should she) use toxic chemicals like that.

• Like 2

Ayr

Cleaning the shower? Never heard of it.

• Like 9

Mose

Leave it to my fairly average cleaner and never wear my glasses in the bathroom.

• Like 5

Scouter

Yeah ours is always a bit gross, but after awhile that just becomes normal

• Like 1

overlytired

We have tile over a bathtub and a shower curtain. The shower curtain is replaced when it starts looking or smelling weird, and I use mould remover as necessary on the tiles and grout (it's a recently renovated bathroom so is a fresh slate). The tub gets a deep clean when it looks too bad to ignore with contacts in.

TL; DR: No system. React.

• Like 1

ineedmorecoffee

A lot of bleach when it starts to look gross. Jif also helps clean the tiles and shower glass.

• Like 1

lucky 2

I find it hard to get into the shower to clean due to a sore back. I use a mop with bleach, spread it as far as I can reach and leave it a while before rinsing it off. That sorts out the tiles. Forr the glass I use a cloth and more natural cleaner and rinse whilst in the shower.

Sometimes a need to use my battery powered brush for tricky nooks, it saves me scrubbing.

• Like 1

rosie28

Spray and wipe with Koh when it’s dry, occasional grout scrub.

• Like 4

Demera

We have a shower over the bath. I use a magic sponge (melamine sponge) to remove soap scum. I do it at least every four weeks otherwise it gets a lot harder to do. Same sponge for the glass screen then Windex with a soft cloth to finish. Now and then the domestos comes out for a proper clean but that's really only about once per year.

• Like 1

Murderino

Cleaning the shower? Never heard of it.

I was thinking this. I keep a toothbrush in there and if I start to see anything on the grout I scrub it.

I thank the people that built this house - they used dark tiles and grout on three walls. It felt so dark when we first moved in but we don’t see mould. At the house XH and I renovated I used beige and when I am there about the kids and see the mould in that shower it grosses me out. Mind you I was there for 6 years and no mould, he’s been there with the kids for almost 4, I must have cleaned that one.

• Like 1

blackcat20

A paste of bicarb and salt to scrub the scum off the glass. A paste of bicarb and dish soap to clean the pink shower mould off the tiles and grout.

• Like 2

MessyJ

I was thinking this. I keep a toothbrush in there and if I start to see anything on the grout I scrub it.

Yeah ditto - that's about it! The tiles always look fine to me - we don't use soap, only body wash and shampoo/cond etc so I don't think there'd be that much of a build up?

We have a shower head with an nozzle on a hose, so if I do do a bit of a grout/tile/door clean with said toothbrush while I'm int there I can easily rinse the whole area.

• Like 1

EmmDasher

CLR for the glass and shiny things and Norwex scrubby paste stuff for the grout/bath. I love CLR!

• Like 1

MerryMadrigalMadge

The cleanest my shower ever was, was when I did the "no poo" hair washing thing - and that where I was living had what sounded like industrial fans - there never was a hint of moisture in that bathroom.

Now I have an extender shower head which i only use to run over the walls at the end of my shower - so soap residue doesn't get much chance to dry and stick. Apart from that, just a once a month thorough clean.

We only have one bathroom, with the only toilet right next to the shower, so there's a limit to how grotty it gets when it's on full display to visitors.

• Like 1

Clementinerose

Best shower clean I ever did...domestos all over, scrub with the broom (so you’re not in there) let sit for a bit and rinse off. Brilliant results for little effort but I stopped doing it that way when I was pregnant because of the smell

Now I do a scrub with CLR and then a squirt on the grout afterwards with a mould killer. Not quite as good but still looks ok

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Once a week or so, I use a microfibre cloth and Method Bathroom cleaner on the shower. I spray it all over and then rub away - I can tell when it's clean because the microfibre cloth glides over it. I give the grout a bit of a quick scrub with a nail brush. That seems to work fine. I usually clean the shower while I am taking a shower sometime on the weekend (during the day so I can see what I am doing). Sometimes I throw some vinegar on the grout lines before I clean the shower. If I feel like it, I finish off with a glass cleaner (it gets mostly used for the mirrors in the bathroom), but I usually I think that's a waste of time because someone has a shower 4-6 hours later.

We swapped to hard soap a few months ago (in an effort to reduce the plastic we buy) and I have noticed that I need to be a little more vigilant with cleaning the shower. Liquid soap doesn't tend to leave as much residue on the tile/shower screen as hard soap does.

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

I try lots of things, but I just don't do it frequently enough - it looks great when I do get around to it.

The other day in the shower I was thinking about the ongoing problem of soap scum and how on earth people keep the glass and tiles spotless when they are selling their houses and figured, I'll just move out - have the shower screens completely replaced with new glass and silicon seals and voila!

• Like 5

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Easy off bam works ok here. The grout could probably have a bit more attention though.

Have used this as well. Good for getting rid of build up.

Need to make sure you rinse well, otherwise you have white residue show up when everything dries.

• Like 1

MissMilla

Ours is just one big glass, no door and inside its tiles. I scrub the tiles and use window cleaner for the glass. Works perfectly fine until the first person showers again and its back to looking disgusting because of all the dried water sprinkles.

• Like 1

MakesMeHappy

We dry the shower after we use it, normally with our towel, sometimes with a squeegee. We do the glass, tiles, taps, fiddly door bits.

This keeps the shower clean and stops any scum build up. We never need to clean it with a cleaning product.

This method is a huge pain in the ass if you can’t be bothered. If I am being particularly unmotivated I make sure I shower before DH so that he has to dry it haha. He invented it and quite likes doing it but is often at work before we shower.

• Like 1

Avocado tree

Thanks everyone! I am comforted to read that I don’t seem to be the only person who has issues with shower cleaning. I really thought it was a major character flaw on my behalf that with all the products available in the supermarket that I still couldn’t get it right.

Some great ideas here, thank you.

• Like 1

Jenflea

The only thing I've found that cleans off soap scum is the KOH spray.

And the black scrubby thing that comes with it.

I don't get mould much due to our epoxy grout the guy used when we had the shower resealed. That stuff is worth every cent!

I do use mould killer spray for along the tracks and in the corners of the door/frame though. 5 minutes on that, rinse off. done.