Greatmum

Walls, floors and toilets

Greatmum

Hi,

We are looking to get the whole inside of teh house painted and new floors I prefer carpet but the pets are wrecking it.

We have small three bedroom house how much roughly would painting cost? like few thousand or tens of thousands.

Also with flooring what are the different types of wood flooring whats better what expericence does everyone have with them.

If we were to get whole house painted and floors done how do they go about it do they go room by room or what and what did you do with furniture etc and how long did it take to do.

Also one last question we need to get a new toilet anyone got rough idea for that too for wall toilet and labour thanks getting quote for this but want to make sure not getting ripped off.

Also what covering do you have on windows in kitchen have shutters in lounge but dont know if it is too much to have these in all rooms or to have roller blinds in kitchen.

Thanks,

Kiwi Bicycle

Just paid under 2k for painting my kitchen, dining, laundry and powder room plus hallway ceiling. However we supplied our own paint (already had as we have been repainting other rooms). So an entire house I would expect you be around 10k including paint. He did this in 2.5 days. Didn't do any doors. Another 3 bed unit next to us did an entire repaint and that took around 2 weeks (10 working days)

In regards to how he worked, ours did the ceilings first, he just draped sheets over the furniture ( after I cleared the surfaces first). We then pulled the furniture off the walls, so you can stack in the middle of the room, if you didn't want to move it to another room and he draped it again. Don't forget to factor tsking down mirrors, paintings etc and rehanging yourselves.

Plastic type fabric roller blinds are good in the kitchem as they have vety little surface area for grease and dust to adhere to plus are easy to wipe down.

Bunnings have a deal to purchase and install toilets if you live in a certain km radius from a store. It has to be a front of wall toilet, so not built into the wall. I would use that price as a guide for yourself.

• Like 1

Greatmum

Thanks kiwi

BusbyWilkes

We had almost the whole house (4x2), including doors, for $6000. This included good quality paint. Perhaps there is state to state variations.

jayskette

i had new toilet installed, it is nota walled one but has a special cistern with sink and tap for washing hands so the labour was $350 instead of 300. when i bought my 3 bed 1 bath house the agent said wood flooring was newly put in at 10k. that was 5 yrs ago.

StillDreaming

Mine cost almost $6k to have walls and ceiling painted - not skirting/windows etc. as that would have added another $2-3k and it wasn’t as essential as the walls. It depends a lot of prep work and how many coats etc will be needed to cover what’s already there. I had quite a few dark walls that I wanted covered with a white. It’s a 3 bed place but I didn’t get the bathroom or laundry done. I do have two living areas though.

WaitForMe

We have a small house but its very old - lots of prep work needed. I think it cost about $7k for the inside, took a bit over a week. There was more than one of them but I don't think they all stayed here all day everyday.

As far as furniture goes, the painters asked we move it all to the middle of the rooms, we just lived with it like that for the week.

For floors, we got two bedrooms carpeted and the rooms had to be emptied of furniture. We could either pay them to do it or do it ourselves, we chose to do it ourselves. We did it the day before, and just left the mattress on the floor then moved that in the morning.

Get the house painted first, then do the floors.

Edited by WaitForMe