bubskitkat

Energy companies - solar panels

bubskitkat

Has anyone installed solar panels on their house and found an energy retailer that gives you good rebates?

I’m in Melbourne.

Kiwi Bicycle

We are with Energy Australia and DH said on our latest bill our solar rebate has been increased.

~LemonMyrtle~

I looked a year ago and none had very good rebates. Will you be feeding much into the grid? It may be less than you think. Only in the height of summer do we generate more than we are using. But then, someone is generally home all day, and we only have about 3kW of panels.

If you can afford it, get a battery though, then you are using your own excess power. We have a battery, got a good deal through our electricity distributor. And it’s rarely fully charged, so we get the full benefit of our panels.

can'tstayaway

We are thinking about batteries. The electrician we spoke to didn’t recommend them because of the power you lose charging them up and using them.

I don’t know the rebates for installing the panels on our current house because we didn’t do it. I vaguely remember when my parents installed panels and they got a decent rebate from the state government.

Our electricity retailer pays us 7cents per kWh. My parents are getting a bit over 20 cents from memory. This is QLD. I pay 24.9 cents per kWh to buy electricity so it makes sense for us to use what we generate rather than feed in to the grid and buy back. This suits us because we’re usually home during the day and use more electricity during the day.

~LemonMyrtle~

Ah sorry, do you mean rebates for installation costs, or fees in tariffs? I answered thinking you meant feed in tariffs.

Mishu

We’ve installed solar panels and just started with our feed in tariffs. Will be interesting to see our first bill. There are some days where we generate more electricity than we use but it’s rare.

We were looking at installing a battery but will wait until the price (hopefully) comes down for them. They cost about $10k I’ve been told. At the moment, it would take 12 years to achieve a return on the cost of a battery and they only have a warranty for 10 years (I think). They need to be a bit cheaper before we will go ahead with one, tho DH is keen to do it (from an environmental perspective).

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

We were looking at installing a battery but will wait until the price (hopefully) comes down for them. They cost about $10k I’ve been told. At the moment, it would take 12 years to achieve a return on the cost of a battery and they only have a warranty for 10 years (I think). They need to be a bit cheaper before we will go ahead with one, tho DH is keen to do it (from an environmental perspective).

Totally agree with this. DH has done the calculations and until the price goes down or they develop a way of refreshing batteries like gas swap a bottle type system, it's not worth batteries at this time. If you are home during the day, run the major electricity sucking appliances then and make sure you have a low off peak rate at night to run the dishwasher etc.

We managed to pay off our system in 4 years so now we are enjoying a reduced power bill plus only using an average of 1.5 person's worth of power for a household of 3, with me being home most of the time.

Just Jack

If you mean feed in tariffs, i found Mojo Energy offers 20c/KwH on top of government provided rate. This is in Qld - not sure if it applies in other states.

bubskitkat

I am get the state government rebate on solar panels which brings the price of the system down.

The battery I was quoted over $10,000 for but there is meant to be a new Victorian government rebate for these but still too expensive

Hoping to reduce the cost of running my new house. There is only me and my son and we are really only home in the evenings and overnight.

The house is made of hebal with double glazed windows and zoned heating and cooling.

I want to be energy efficient as possible

can'tstayaway

I’d suggest running appliances as much as possible during the day to use the electricity you generate.

Things like inverter r/c air conditioning is most efficient set on a thermostat and get working during the day even if you are not home. It takes less energy to maintain a temperature than to drastically heat or cool. The theory is that if the house is warm/cool, the thermal mass of insulation will maintain it into the night. In summer, close blinds/curtains to keep the sun out so the house stays cool. Keep them open in winter for passive heating during the day and the double glazing means less heat loss.

Our family uses the most electricity and generates the least between 5-8pm. That’s peak pricing so going for the peak and off peak tariffs don’t make sense for us.

Kiwi Bicycle

Have you looked into solar hot water panels for heating your water? Could be worthwhile, especially if you shower at night.

can'tstayaway

Have you looked into solar hot water panels for heating your water? Could be worthwhile, especially if you shower at night.

When I last looked into this for a possible new build (5yrs ago), the solar hot water systems were potentially not the best use of resources.

As a rule of thumb, the can heat the water to double the ambient temperature. In Qld, that’s pretty good in winter where daytime temps still reach 20°C. The boost (electric or gas) only has to heat a little bit more. In areas where daytime temps don’t go into the double digits, a lot more boosting is required. Also, solar heating occurs during the daytime. As water gets used in the evening, cold water is added to the tank which then requires extra boost heating. You could do as we once did and use a manual switch to stop it from heating overnight but that meant cold showers in the morning. Overcast days meant lots of boost heating which wasn’t the most cost efficient.

Modern heat exchange hot water systems can be very energy efficient and use the electricity generated from pv panels to heat the water to the desired temp.

You could use both in tandem but there’s the issue of roof space competition for pv and solar hot water panels. The pv panels allows more flexibility for use.

bubskitkat

Well I just went with my current supplier whom is red energy. They give you .12 cents a kw up load.

WaitForMe

I am get the state government rebate on solar panels which brings the price of the system down.

The battery I was quoted over $10,000 for but there is meant to be a new Victorian government rebate for these but still too expensive

Hoping to reduce the cost of running my new house. There is only me and my son and we are really only home in the evenings and overnight.

The house is made of hebal with double glazed windows and zoned heating and cooling.

I want to be energy efficient as possible

The battery rebate is similar to the solar one. Its something like half the cost back up to a value of $4.5k. Even still, it just didn't seem worth it to me.

I found a great payoff calculator and the battery just extended how long it would take to get a return on the investment by quite a bit. I think I was looking at a system that would pay for itself in 3 years, but with battery it was 6+ years, despite using more of my own generated power.

And then the remaining savings wouldn't pay off the battery replacement, although in theory they will come down in cost by then. So the remaining 4 years wasn't enough to pay for a new battery.