OceanTwentyFour

Care Package

OceanTwentyFour

A close friend of mine has just found out she has breast cancer. She is having surgery today and will find out the stage and treatment next week.

I wanted to put together a little care package for her. I thought of a book and some cheese & crackers as she loves cheese. Can anyone suggest other ideas?

Jenflea

Gel pens and a colouring in book maybe?

Hand cream

Lip balm

• Like 1

MarciaB

Magazines. Or a book which has short stories. Sometimes a novel can be too hard to concentrate on when you aren't feeling well.

Handcream and lip balm great ideas.

Fossy

Netflix gift card, bed socks, nice pjs, heat pack, nice lip balm to help with cracked lips, gift card to the hospital for coffee/parking etc, hire a cleaner for her home.

Hope your friend is ok x

• Like 2

JomoMum

How very thoughtful of you xx I agree with the suggestions above.

I would probably avoid the food, especially ones she loves now. If she does require chemo, often the foods you love don’t taste as good. But if she has a family, certainly some home cooked meals would be most appreciated by all when she is in hospital.

• Like 1

Beancat

I have done a few of these for friends who are about to go through chemo, after my mother's experience

socks or sock like slippers for hospital - feet are always cold

pen and notepad - to jot down questions when they pop into your head for doctors and nurses

Definitely lip balm and hand cream - but with NO SCENT at all - the scent can contribute to nausea

A water bottle

Pepermint tea and ginger tea for nausea

Lolly pops

A book with short stories and or magazines

A nice scarf in case she loses her hair, otherwise its really nice to get a nice scarf bought for you anyway

If she has kids/partner - Id cook a few freezer meals too as she could be in hospital or off or feet for a while. Her husband will be running around with kids and visiting her and is likely to appreciate coming home to a cooked meal

• Like 3

lizzybirdsworth

A lovely warm fluffy blanket.

too tired to care

The above ideas are great, also depending on which hospital she goes to for chemo, parking can cost a fortune, so money or a card with money on it for this purpose is also helpful.