Green Gummy Bear

PhD scholarship and family assistance

Green Gummy Bear

Everything I've been given says that it is a tax-free payment. But I'm assuming the whole amount needs to be counted as income for family assistance purposes?

Trying to work out if it's financially feasible or not.

• Like 1

Dirty Cat

Yes it is income

also if it is a part time one and you work on the side then it not tax free

Green Gummy Bear

Yes it is income

sigh. I was worried that would be the case.

blackcat20

I didnt think it was; its not even normally listed on your tax return.

Green Gummy Bear

If it’s not taxable and doesn’t fit the other 8 components of “adjusted income” then it’s not counted for family assistance.

Read this and see if it fits anywhere or call them

https://www.humanser...le-income/29571

I didnt think it was; its not even normally listed on your tax return.

It's all very confusing. The page linked above, makes me think it's not considered. But then this one https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/income/30376 seems as though it is.

If it is included, our FTB drops significantly, and we're financially much worse off.

born.a.girl

I'm just following this from my own curiosity, and I'm finding it confusing, too.

The Centrelink list seems to list Centrelink (or other government benefits from eg Vet affairs) benefits, rather than anything under the sun which might be considered income.

The second list seems to suggest anything over about $8000 from a scholarship is included.

10YearsLater

You’ll need to call Centrelink to figure it out (good luck with that!).

It’s tax exempt so you do not need to add it to your tax return but you DO need to inform Centrelink and they adjust FTB accordingly I believe. What I don’t understand though is if it’s not included in your tax return (and mine never has been), then how do Centrelink reconcile? Hence why I think you should discuss with them.

I have received a PhD scholarship but have not been entitled to any Centrelink during the 3 years so not sure how it works exactly, sorry!

Deep thought

It's all very confusing. The page linked above, makes me think it's not considered. But then this one https://www.humanser...cs/income/30376 seems as though it is.

If it is included, our FTB drops significantly, and we're financially much worse off.

From that link it looks like most of the PhD scholarship counts as income, though $8223 of it does not count as income.

"Any amount over $8,223 per year counts as income and may affect your payment rate.

If you get more than one scholarship, the $8,223 applies to the total amount you get, not to each one."