Jelly Bee

My house stinks

Jelly Bee

I had one dog. She never smelled. Short haired, very clean. Small. Kelpie. We tore our hair out in her maniac puppy stage but once that was over she became basically the perfect dog.

Now we have two dogs. The other one is huge. Wolfhound. Hairy. Not clean. Stinks. Rolls in its own poo. Eats it’s own poo. Constantly treks dirt around.

Our house stinks. It doesn’t help that it’s winter and we aren’t opening doors too much. They’re outside playing a lot but in with us every afternoon and evening.

I hate having a doggy house. Any tips and tricks other than bath the dogs and air the house neither of which seem to help completely .....

Flaxen

You and me both.

Nilodor spray helps me feel better when visitors come.

~LemonMyrtle~

We only have one small dog but he sheds constantly and smells slightly doggy, especially when wet.

What helps is:

Hard wood floors.

Leather furniture.

No soft furnishings. At all.

Dog is only allowed in the back living area, no dog in bedroom and very rarely the front room.

Also, wash the dog beds and dog bedding all the time. My dogs bed sometimes just gets thrown out when it’s too smelly. Same with dog toys, dog toys stink. So stay on top of the washing of bedding and toys.

And wash the dog occasionally. Ours doesn’t need much washing at all, just when he has p*ssed on his own legs one too many times. Then he gets a bath and a brush.

• Like 1

~LemonMyrtle~

Oh, and baby wipes. I use baby wipes on my dogs face and bum sometimes if he has made a mess of himself. On furniture too. It’s a quick fix when we don’t have time to bathe him.

• Like 1

Oriental lily

I have no soft furnishing . Leather lounges, hard floors . No rugs . This helps but I also have two geriatric dogs (. 13 and 15 year old ) who have become very complacent of the idea of using the doggy door to do their business . It’s hard but I need to have patience because ageing is hard for us all . I also don’t like bathing them to much because they find it stressful . So I am kinda accepting to the smells and ‘messes’ .

My Labrador is great though . He never smells ! I have bathed him once in his whole life ( he is 3 ) and only needs a good groom to remove loose hair but he has no ponky doggy smell at all it’s really weird .

Oh except his feet . He has smelly musty feet but that’s a normal dog smell .

Some dogs really just stink more than others . Even within the same breed .

BeachesBaby

Febreeze definitely! It really works like a bomb. I made the mistake of letting my dog chew her antler on my bare mattress (laundry day) while I chatted with my mom on Skype for an hour. At the end of it there were 3 spots of the worst smell ever from where her saliva mixed with the bone marrow from her antler. I've since found out a doctor friend says it smells exactly like gangrene :sick: , so yea, it was terribly. I ran to the store and got a bottle of febreeze, which I didn't even know they sold in Aus. Grab a bottle and spray literally everything. Hope it helps!

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Definitely check the bedding. I hadn't really got close to ours (after all who chooses to sniff the dog's bed) and didn't realise how putrid it was.

Also how old is it. Ours had his teeth cleaned recently (six years old) and the difference was amazing. Suddenly colgate fresh breath rather than stink.

*Spikey*

Get your vet to check for fungal infections - eating and rolling in poo may be a flag (or cause) or skin issues. Fungal skin infections = smelly dogs.

Invest in a crate to contain the dogs overnight - wash dog crate bedding weekly.

Also invest in big dog cushions for the living area, and cover them with washable covers. Nothing removes the smell like - removing the smell!

Use Napisan and hot water to wash with, it will kill off the nasties causing the odour.

Ours also have a paved area outside our back door - so their paws are not dirty when they come in. Consider using mats and other barriers to trap incoming dirt. If they run over something that's washable or that can be taken outdoors and cleaned up, then you reduce the trek factor.

• Like 1

Avocado tree

Definitely check the bedding. I hadn't really got close to ours (after all who chooses to sniff the dog's bed) and didn't realise how putrid it was.

Also how old is it. Ours had his teeth cleaned recently (six years old) and the difference was amazing. Suddenly colgate fresh breath rather than stink.

Did the teeth cleaning involve an anaesthetic? We have just had a 5 year old cocker spaniel come into our care and she is a stinky one so the vet has recommended knocking her out and getting the teeth cleaned properly.

Two dogs here and my house is smelly and filthy. I can’t keep on top of the vacuuming and mopping. It’s doing my head in. I am abit of a germ phobic so trying to face the fact that this is what my house now is.

Edited by Avocado tree

lozoodle

My solution is the dogs live outside haha. They come sleep in their crate at night, but nope, no more.

• Like 1

Jelly Bee

born.a.girl

Did the teeth cleaning involve an anaesthetic? We have just had a 5 year old cocker spaniel come into our care and she is a stinky one so the vet has recommended knocking her out and getting the teeth cleaned properly.

Two dogs here and my house is smelly and filthy. I can’t keep on top of the vacuuming and mopping. It’s doing my head in. I am abit of a germ phobic so trying to face the fact that this is what my house now is.

Yes, it did, around $600.

• Like 1

MarciaB

Washable blankets - I buy polar fleece ones from Ikea (they even have $2.99 ones) and have them in their beds and also make them sit on a blanket on the couch.

I wash them all the time otherwise they do smell doggy.

I also bath my dogs (they are small) every couple of weeks. They are so used to it now, they even sit there while I use the hairdryer on them lol.

I also use a lot of candles as I like my house to smell nice!

Jelly Bee

Crooked Frame

What we do to keep our house not smelling dog infested:

- air it out as much as possible

- our dog is only allowed downstairs (non-carpeted areas) and not on the couch. We have a baby gate at the top of the stairs and we push the couch back cushions down onto the seat when we're not home so she can't climb on it.

- regular vacuuming

- weekly/fortnightly dog washing (my DW was doing weekly washes but I felt like she didn't need it that often and it seemed to make her skin more sensitive so scaled back to fortnightly)

- regular brushing/wiping when needed (Kmart sells pet wipes which are basically giant unscented baby wipes for $1.50 a pack and they're great)

- our dog destroys every bed we've bought her, so we have about 6 black bath mats we stack three at a time and then wash weekly and rotate. If she didn't destroy her beds, we'd buy one with a removable cover and wash it weekly.

We have a Ridgeback/Kelpie mutt so she's got short hair but she sheds a fair bit.

eliza_non

Things I do to lessen the doginess of the house:

Air house as much as possible

Eucalyptus spray

We have a baby gate so the dogs can’t access carpeted areas of the house

No rugs or cushions in the living areas

Run the robot vacuum in the living areas daily

Leather/vinyl lounge

Washable fleece blankets for the dog

Agree with PP regarding a vet check for fungal infections, dental disease, etc.

kadoodle

My dogs found a dead kangaroo today. Fabreeze and bicarbonate of soda are wonderful things.

*Spikey*

Lol. Mine had better not find any dead kangaroos....

• Like 1

Coffeegirl

We don’t have a dog anymore, but when we did, in the winter I found those damp rid products to help a lot as they pulled the moisture, and the smell lingering in the moisture, out of the air in the house.

• Like 1

DontPokeTheBearMum

I have one massive shaggy boof head of a dog who not only stinks but farts a lot.

I don't invite people over anymore.

• Like 2

Twinmum+2
  • Like 3

FiveAus

We have a number of dogs and two cats. Some of the dogs are inside all the time, the rest come in of an evening. They all sleep inside.

I'm very conscious of animal smells, so the dogs are bathed regularly, we have hard flooring right through the house and the floors get mopped every single day. We have no soft furnishings aside from a few rugs on the couch and these get laundered every few days. The dogs have mats to sleep on, these get washed a few times a week (they are easy to wash and quick drying).

Any dog that is dropping coat get extra baths, a thorough blow out with a high velocity dryer and much brushing.

I work Mon - Friday and I'm usually gone for 9+ hours, so I notice if the house smells when I walk in the door. it usually doesn't. If it does I track down the source of the smell right away and deal with it (as it's usually pretty obvious what it is).

Lucrezia Bauble

My solution is the dogs live outside haha. They come sleep in their crate at night, but nope, no more.

this would be my solution too.

kadoodle

DS1 and dogs had fun exploring the creek today. Tonight my house smells of stinky teenaged boy and stinky wet dog. I need to turn the house inside out and bomb it with shampoo.

Hypnic Jerk

It’s too cold here for the guinea pigs to be outside so I’ve moved them in. They stink too.