*Spikey*

Bronze

JustBeige

Marking my spot

71Cath

Marking my spot

Me too

*Spikey*

And I will start off with something that appeared on my twitter feed - Australia's version of indentured labour. Truly, we need a serf class to do this stuff, seeing as how we can't legally enslave people under the law.

https://thewest.com.au/countryman/horticulture/pick-fruit-or-lose-welfare-pm-says-ng-b881241502z?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&tid=1561595315026

Bethlehem Babe

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/barilaro-ready-to-give-up-deputy-premier-title-to-speak-more-freely-20190628-p5226e.html

Nats in nsw...

Speaking at the Nationals' party conference in Inverell on Friday, Mr Barilaro warned that the Coalition was only a "temporary alliance" as he sounded an angry warning to his Liberal colleagues.

Interesting.

• Like 1

Chaotic Pogo

And I will start off with something that appeared on my twitter feed - Australia's version of indentured labour. Truly, we need a serf class to do this stuff, seeing as how we can't legally enslave people under the law.

https://thewest.com.au/countryman/horticulture/pick-fruit-or-lose-welfare-pm-says-ng-b881241502z?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&tid=1561595315026

I do not like who this country has become.

• Like 2

Chaotic Pogo

Do they understand they will ALSO have to apply these laws to the non-Christian religious?

Lucrezia Bauble

“i would like to look at the positive side. Most Australians are housed”.

i’m going to use this the next time i am visiting a friend in hospital struck down with some debilitating illness “but look at the positive side, most of us aren’t in hospital...”

• Like 2

71Cath

The fact that he used the word spin when talking about homelessness makes me feel ill. Can he not hear how that sounds???

• Like 2

Lucrezia Bauble

i think he can, and he doesn’t care. they’ve become emboldened. homelessness is a very visible flaw in the free market ideology - supply and demand, invisible hand of the market and all that. if capitalism worked all workers would be housed, because they are buying a commodity that landlords are selling. so it can’t be the fault of capitalism. if there is homelessness (and hey - look at the bright side!) then it’s the individual’s fault....maybe they don’t *want* to be housed? (clearly i’m being sarcastic).

• Like 4

IamzFeralz

Do they understand they will ALSO have to apply these laws to the non-Christian religious?

Religious institutions also often have clauses in employment contracts for their staff not to publically speak on social media about “controversial” topics e.g abortion, supporting gay marriage. I wonder if the proposed laws would protect such people from being sacked?

• Like 3

Chaotic Pogo

To get housed, a homeless man had to get his name and story splashed over the front page of the local paper to get to the top of the queue. (And of course, that meant someone else got pushed down ie not housed.)

He had stage 4 cancer, was receiving chemo sessions in hospital outpatient ie just as an appointment, then rough sleeping on the street.

But yeah, put a positive spin on that.

Ok. Obviously he should be grateful for the hundreds of thousands in chemo treatment the public system provides and leaving him out in the cold to jeapordise his recovery to save a pittance by comparison is good because it will teach him resilience. The public should be really happy we have such great care here in Australia.

/s

archyandmehitabel

These guys could get a job in the Trump administration.

Howarth wants to put a positive spin on homelessness.

https://www.abc.net....e-spin/11291046

Yeah. I saw that and it left me speechless

I was in the city (Melbourne) today and saw about 7 homeless while I was walking a few blocks from a railway station.

Lesley225

Religious institutions also often have clauses in employment contracts for their staff not to publically speak on social media about “controversial” topics e.g abortion, supporting gay marriage. I wonder if the proposed laws would protect such people from being sacked?

Of course not. that's entirely different.

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/10/scott-morrison-calls-for-more-love-as-he-prays-for-australia-at-hillsong-conference

It's easy - we just need 'more prayer and more love'. "More love and less judgement".

I'm ok with the 'more love' bit. even the bit where he says "we ae not here to judge. Not here to lecture."

But "We are just here to show the amazing love of God"??? Which God? Whose God?

If only I could believe that he was here to represent all of us. That what he was saying was inclusive. But all I can hear is divisiveness and "You're OK with me if you believe in my God".

Religious freedoms for those who believe in my religion.

And I'm sorry, but even as a person who was brought up with religion and who tries to be tolerant of all people's beliefs, the pictures of our PM with his hand raised in 'prayer and worship' fills me with discomfort. In the same way that white supremacists use it.

• Like 6

**Tiger*Filly**

The whole 14 min video is on YouTube. It's an interesting watch.

I'm like you Ruffles, I grew up with Pentecostal friends and relatives, so although I'm a different denomination of Christian myself I'm very familiar with it. But it does make me uneasy to see our PM being so partisan. And to see him proclaiming love while he's got people locked up in concentration camps.

• Like 2

MerryMadrigalMadge

The Guardian has published a couple of great detailed articles, detailing the nonsense that is what the government is doing to tax reform, especially under changing demographics conditions in Australia.

How anyone believes that the LNP are the better economic managers continues to baffle me.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/18/the-coalitions-tax-plan-will-make-for-a-very-different-australia-one-thats-much-less-equal

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2019/jul/15/a-shrinking-tax-base-is-a-recipe-for-disaster-for-our-ageing-population

• Like 4

71Cath

How good are franking credits????? Just ask d*ck Smith, counting his extra $500K...

• Like 1

SFmummyto3
  • Like 1

kadoodle

George Colombaris has been ordered to repay $7.8m and fined $200k for underpaying workers over 5 years. Bit of a slap on the wrist with a soggy lettuce leaf.

• Like 1

purplekitty

George Colombaris has been ordered to repay $7.8m and fined $200k for underpaying workers over 5 years. Bit of a slap on the wrist with a soggy lettuce leaf.

What a turd he is.

• Like 2