Dallas1987

Car Seat Advice

22Fruitmincepies

For me I have a need ect to be organized and plan everything and have a schedule so it is important to work out what way to go now not 12 months down the track

Look, to say this really gently, babies turn your life upside down. I’m a very different parent to the parent I thought I would be - because my baby needed me to be the parent I have become. And from what I’ve seen, the greater your need for control and the more rigid your mindset, the harder the transition to parenting. You might get a baby who eats and sleeps and hits all the milestones on time, and think it’s your parenting, or your baby might scream for months and only sleep when you are holding them. It’s all about the baby you get.

Anyway, does your baby have tall genes? If so, you might do well with a 0-8 seat, and you could buy/borrow/rent a capsule for the first few months. If the genes are more on the small or average side, a 0-4 seat will still get lots of use and take up less room.

• Like 5

Moo point

Thanks for the comments, I feel the capsule cocoons the baby better in the first few months compared to a 0-4 that is the main reason I am looking at purchasing one as opposed to a 0-4 car seat. I also feel there was a time when you went straight from a capsule to a booster that used a seat belt as there was no other options and we were all fine. I understand there are options these days but my preference and intention is to ff from 12 months my main question is would you purchase the 6m -8years seat or a 0-4 seat. Getting value for money as well as using it for as long as possible is a priority for me

Babies are not better cocooned in a capsule - DS as a newborn 3.4kg in a SnS Compaq was so comfy and cocooned, there's so much additional padding in there that can be removed over time as they grow. Head support, shoulder strap pads, padding around his back and bottom. And we were not "all fine" - when I was a kid we didn't even have seatbelts in the back, times change.

There are no seats where you can go straight from a capsule to a booster with a seatbelt - a capsule will last at most 9 months (unless you have a very tiny baby), and a child cannot use a seatbelt until at least 4 years old. Even if you get a FF seat 6m-8yo your child may not meet the height markers. As you likely need to have two seats, you could do what we did for most flexibility - 0-4 seat until the grow out of it (ie shoulders above the line, for our tall DS, that was about 4.5) to a FF Maxiguard Pro or similar, which at this stage will last him at least until he's 10 - he's turning 7 next week. No wondering how long he would last in a capsule, no concern about whether to turn FF (just when his shoulders were above the marker), and at least 4 years to worry about the next seat.

I understand your need to be organised. But babies will absolutely throw your life for a loop as a PP said. My son refused to take a bottle, or nap longer than 45 mins for the first year of his life. I've had to roll with it, and I am not a person that deals well with spontaneity! So I take the path of least resistance - do what works and change it when you need to. But I also focus on what is best for him, and keeping him RF for as long as possible was a major goal.

• Like 4

FuzzyChocolateToes

With my youngest we used a Safe n Sound convertible. RF until 18mo then FF her until 5yo. She is tall and was only just starting to get a bit squishy. She then moved in to a S n S Maxirider so she can stay in a harness until 7 or 8. We had a similar set up for the other kids.

Convertible seats are designed to last beyond 4yo now so are a really good investment imo.

Mooples

I’d say ds’ head is better cocooned in his safe n sound platinum than it was in the capsule. Ds1 went straight into a 0-4 seat. We got the capsule for ds2 thinking it would be easier while out and about for ds1’s activities. He was big and hated it so moved into the 0-4 seat earlier than we anticipated so it was probably a waste of money. Both my boys are up in the 90th + percentile for height and ds1 didn’t reach the ff height markers until after he turned 2 and ds2 is 18 months and still not even close so be aware with the seat you choose that it might not be safe to ff at 12 months.

• Like 1

gatheringpieces

My kid is 2.5 and still RF as he just doesn't quite reach the FF markers in his 0-4 seat.

Is there a reason you are so adamant about FF? To help us better understand? The research is beyond conclusive that extended RF gives the best outcomes in accidents.

ETA.

I would buy a 0-4 seat. It'll last a good few years, and then you can update to the latest and greatest booster available- they have advanced in leaps and bounds over the last few years and will continue to do so.

Edited by gatheringpieces
  • Like 1

Winter frost

Op we rented a capsule supposed to fit to 6 mths our baby grew out of it in 6 weeks ... i would go c

Green Sage

Yeah I should have mentioned in my previous post, when I forward faced my son at 12 months, he was still actually too short to forward face in his 0-4 seat. I had to buy him a 6 months to 8 years seat, at their markers are a bit lower (had to get a new seat anyway due to baby 2 arriving)

The 0-4 seats can have quite high forward facing markers. So with all the best intentions, you may need a new seat anyway at the 12 month mark.

So you can get a capsule, then switch at about 6 months to a 0-4 years seat if your baby is tall and goes out of the capsule, and then you may have to buy another seat again at 12 months to forward face. That’s potentially 3 different baby seats in 12 months.

It’s all very confusing and unpredictable. But I think your best best is to just get a 0-4 seat, and see how you go. At least you know it will last you the full 12 months, maybe more if you stick with rear facing for longer.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~

Demera

Option B makes no sense unless you are certain you want to use a carrier while baby is small. I personally don't like them, but some people love them. If a carrier is not important to you, go straight to a 0-4 car seat, as then you'll be set for four years and can rear face when it suits, which also suits your need to be organised. Then, when the child doesn't go according to your 12 month plan, there's no drama, as the seat can deal with that.

I can't see a capsule suiting your desire for a plan, as the baby could be grown out of it by four months, or longer, but you won't know until it happens.

Option A sounds like a recipe for disaster, as I'm confident it won't go to plan.

0-4 seat seems like the only logical option given your requirements.

We went with the 0-4 option, and rear faced our first child until 18 months. We plan to do the same for the second child. Don't forward face until you really have to... it's horrible seeing young children slumping down in FF seats when they aren't strong enough.

Edited by Demera

Ellie bean

I had a capsule/ carrier but had to switch to a different seat very quickly as the capsule was really uncomfortable for my baby’s reflux and she screamed marginally less in a different seat- for that reason I’d go with the 0-4 seat. But basically as long as you’ve got something safe to take the baby home in you’ll be fine, amd you can take it from there, you really cannot predict what you’re going to need later down the track.

alchetta

Due to moving overseas with a 3 month old, I've tried both. We had a 0-4 car seat initially that was extremely cocoon like and comfy. DD slept in it and when we came back to Aus she continued rear facing for about 20 months despite being on the 97th percentile for height.

At 3 months we ended up with a capsule overseas that went on our pram. I had this idea that she would stay asleep in it while we went to the shops or whatever. She hated that thing and cried every time. When she fell asleep she always woke as soon as the car stopped anyway. The worst part was that she refused both bottle and dummy (not for my lack of trying) so I literally had to lean over her capsule in the back to breastfeed her to calm her down in the car during long drives (actually most drives). It was hell.

I never had to breastfeed her in the car again as soon as we got her back in her 0-4 seat.

In addition to that little experience, the capsule was also very heavy and even with a 3 month old in it I wouldn't have lugged it further than to just get in the car.

Long and the short of it is, I'm pretty anti capsule, but if your mind is made up I'm sure you'll have the peace of mind you need and you'll make it work. That time is very short in hindsight and there will be difficult periods no matter what you do, right or wrong!

Veritas Vinum Arte

Alchetta but my experience with screaming reflux child was that the capsule was a godsend and the 0-4yrs seat terrible in that first year.

So it really does come down to the individual child.

I loved using the capsule on the pram, my baby did too.

For me I would be thinking on whether you plan for more children.

I did the capsule then 0-4 years seat. My children actually did not outgrow these seats until 5.5 years. In those days they went to boosters (no 8 years seats). My 9.5yo is still in a high back booster and will be until she passes the 5 step test in my car.... which I know will be approximately 145cm based on her brothers.

3babygirls

I didn't do capsules for either of mine.

0-4 carseat until 2 (rear facing)

Dallas1987

I like the convenience that the capsule will provide as well as being that is what was used prior to 0-4 car seats I feel it is the best option, I like the fact I will get 7-8 years out of a 6m-8years seat as opposed to only a 0-4 seat where I will only get 4 years and then have to upgrade the seat to either a booster or a 6m-8years sear

Cheesy Sanga

I appreciate what you're saying about getting more for your money with a 6m-8y seat. You are contradicting yourself saying you want a capsule as they're safer but then you're wanting to FF too early. Please do some research into the safety benefits of staying RF as long as possible. The decent 0-4 seats will allow RF as long as possible then you'll get FF time possibly up to 5-6yo as well. Plus think about the changes in the safety of future seats. You may find that there's a new safer option in 4-5 years and you may feel unable to take advantage of it as you already have a 6m-8y seat.

• Like 7

EmmDasher

Just don’t buy the future seat you need now. Wait until much closer to when you need it (sorry if it’s obvious and you weren’t planning too). Seats have warranties & shelf lives and you don’t want to run out the warranty and life of such a long term seat in a cupboard somewhere. Even if it’s on sale now...there are literally always baby sales. It’ll be on sale again around Boxing Day at least.

Edited by EmmDasher
  • Like 3

Thagomizer

I like the convenience that the capsule will provide as well as being that is what was used prior to 0-4 car seats I feel it is the best option, I like the fact I will get 7-8 years out of a 6m-8years seat as opposed to only a 0-4 seat where I will only get 4 years and then have to upgrade the seat to either a booster or a 6m-8years sear

You likely won't be able to put your 12 month old in a 6m-8y seat. They have that age designation, but it just means that's the category of carseat. Those seats all have entry markers that the vast majority of 12 month olds will not meet. So you'd need to buy a 0-4 anyway.

I have a 6m-8y seat for my 4.5 year old. I moved him into it from his 0-4y when he was 3 so his brother could have his seat. There is no way I would put a child younger than 2.5/3 in that seat. There is considerably less side protection, they sit more upright and have a deeper seat as they are made for older children. It is a rare child who is big enough to fit the markers of one of these seats before the age of 2.

I would suggest you either get a capsule or a 0-4 now, and nothing else. There is literally no point getting another seat now for use in 12 months time as car seats have warranties that begin at purchase. In addition, storage of carseats can often result in mould, which automatically means it has to be chucked out.

Have a rough plan, but don't buy ahead.

I agree with PP that you need to research carseat safety. FF at 12 months is extremely unsafe. Just because 'back in the day' we didn't have harnessed seats for young children does not mean that 'we were all okay.' It means that some were okay, and the others are gravely injured or dead. Don't let your survivor bias make this decision about your baby's safety. There is an excellent facebook group called 'Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly?' They have a lot of information that I think you would benefit from.

• Like 1

Dallas1987

You likely won't be able to put your 12 month old in a 6m-8y seat. They have that age designation, but it just means that's the category of carseat. Those seats all have entry markers that the vast majority of 12 month olds will not meet. So you'd need to buy a 0-4 anyway.

I have a 6m-8y seat for my 4.5 year old. I moved him into it from his 0-4y when he was 3 so his brother could have his seat. There is no way I would put a child younger than 2.5/3 in that seat. There is considerably less side protection, they sit more upright and have a deeper seat as they are made for older children. It is a rare child who is big enough to fit the markers of one of these seats before the age of 2.

I would suggest you either get a capsule or a 0-4 now, and nothing else. There is literally no point getting another seat now for use in 12 months time as car seats have warranties that begin at purchase. In addition, storage of carseats can often result in mould, which automatically means it has to be chucked out.

Have a rough plan, but don't buy ahead.

I agree with PP that you need to research carseat safety. FF at 12 months is extremely unsafe. Just because 'back in the day' we didn't have harnessed seats for young children does not mean that 'we were all okay.' It means that some were okay, and the others are gravely injured or dead. Don't let your survivor bias make this decision about your baby's safety. There is an excellent facebook group called 'Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly?' They have a lot of information that I think you would benefit from.

Thank you as stated I have done research and I feel comfortable with my decision to forward face from 12 months onwards, I don’t have any intention of purchasing the seat now but will put a seat on layby once the baby turns 9months

22Fruitmincepies

I have just put average sized 19mo DS in DD’s 0-8 seat, he just hits the minimum shoulder height marker. In his 0-4 seat he is still quite a long way off the marker to FF. If you plan to FF at 12mo you will quite likely be going against the manufacturer directions for safe use of the seat.

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

Thank you as stated I have done research and I feel comfortable with my decision to forward face from 12 months onwards, I don’t have any intention of purchasing the seat now but will put a seat on layby once the baby turns 9months

it's nothing to do with personal comfort, your biggest problem is going to be finding a seat with low enough markers to let you forward face at 12 months.

As I said before, my youngest was at the 92nd percentile for height at 12 months old & a lot of that length was in his body - he only just reached the height marker in the maxi guard we bought for my eldest. He still hadn't reached the turn markers in our now 5 year old compaq by that stage.

• Like 1

Crazyone26989

I am doing option c. I have a 0-4 car seat and plan to RF as long as I can and the FF with the same seat. Once the seat is outgrown I will look in to the next option.

Is there a reason you really want to FF from 12 months?

I have a very small car and having the seat RF does take up more room but we tried so many options at the baby store to find the one that gave the front passenger the most room.

Mooples

A capsule costs about the same as a 0-4 seat so if you’re after value for money I’d forego the capsule and buy a 0-4 then a bigger seat when you need. Still not sure why value for money is your priority over your child’s safety.

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

I doubt you will get 12 months out of a capsule, you’d be lucky to get 3 in my experience. In particular they become very heavy to lift after 3 months in many cases even if the child still fits.

I think you are going to need a 0-4 no matter what because I just don’t think a capsule is going to take you all the way to a 6m-8yr or whatever you are looking at.

I would hire a Baby safety Capsule from the Red Cross as they have the best safety rating and then with the actual baby in front of you, you will know better how to proceed re the size and other physical attributes of that child.

• Like 1

gracie1978

My son grew out of his 0-4 seat when he was two.

I'm really glad I didn't bother with a capsule, he probably would have only lasted two months.

We have a fantastic 6m to 8y carseat, 4yo DS is really comfortable in it and you can adjust the straps so easily, just a lever you pull up.

I think a 0-4 carseat is the way to go. I hate it when I see babies in capsules on prams, they should be flat in a bassinet.

Lou-bags

My son grew out of his 0-4 seat when he was two.

Wowser! What seat did you have? My DS1 was above the 97th centile until around 3 or 4 (he’s now around 95 I think- at 5.5) and he was still able to fit in one of his 0-4 seats until just after 5yo.

Cheesy Sanga

Wowser! What seat did you have? My DS1 was above the 97th centile until around 3 or 4 (he’s now around 95 I think- at 5.5) and he was still able to fit in one of his 0-4 seats until just after 5yo.

There are/were some very average seats with very short shells so many kids did grow out of them by 2-3yo even if they weren't particularly tall kids.

• Like 1