Sign in to follow this  
DM. 2012

Does your child have any fused teeth?

DM. 2012

My son is 7 and at his dentist visit last year (his first one, bad Mother, I know) the dentist said that 2 of his teeth were fused. This is when 2 teeth are joined together, side by side and look the same as 2 regular teeth. One is the bottom middle tooth and one beside it. Apparently they form like this. Each tooth has it’s own root.

The dentist osaid that this may or may not cause problems when his looses them because they will obviously come out together and possibly one of new teeth underneath won’t be ready, he could end up with gaps or crowding. He also hasn’t lost any of his baby teeth yet.

Have any you experienced this with your kids?

trillian42

Yes, DS has this. He hasn’t lost the tooth yet so don’t know exactly what will happen, but the dentist did an X-ray and apparently there is only one tooth growing underneath. So he might end up with a gap I guess.

DM. 2012

Thanks. I have read that there can be one tooth underneath. He dentist visit was the school dentist a year or so ago and they didn’t do an x-ray. He’s probably due for another dentist visit so I might take him to a regular dentist who probably will x-ray him.

UniKitty

I am a school dentist. Fused teeth are common and not something we worry too much about.

I would not xray yet either - true ALARA principles of radiography only support taking xrays if it will influence your treatment. As it will not 'unfuse' nor grow another teeth, a watch and wait is much more appropriate.