Sign in to follow this  
MummaBlossom

Fiji holiday

MummaBlossom

Does anyone have feedback on the Hideaway Resort Coral Reef Fiji? We have an opportunity to stay here with family, but with a son who is anaphylactic to dairy, egg, nuts and sesame we are reluctant to travel overseas. I've emailed the resort but am yet to hear back.

Also, are there any 'parents of kids with food allergies' groups around? I'm a member with allergy and anaphylaxis australia but their fb page doesn't have a members discussion area (unless I've missed it!)

Thank you!

justbreath

I don’t know that resort specifically but Fiji’s heath care is generally fairly “third world”. You would be at least 45min from even a smallish hospital on the coral coast. They do take food allergies seriously from what I’ve seen but I would still be taking as much food as possible and self catering. Anaphylaxis to dairy is a serious risk (the others are more easily avoided) as it is in so many things and people just don’t even realise.

• Like 1

justbreath

What is the specific appeal of Fiji? Is there somewhere else with more medical options that could be an alternative?

SplashingRainbows

I e been to the coral coast. Wouldn’t go with a child ana to anything.

Would be more likely to go to Denaru Island but would need to confirm where the nearest hospital is.

There are a lot of places I’d travel before Fiji for a child with anaphylaxis allergies.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Nadi hospital is the closest to Denerau, so 5 minutes away. Our extended family stayed at Denerau and MIL is celiac and nephew and niece are allergic to dairy, eggs ( but not ana) and minor intolerance to gluten.

The Sheraton seemed quite aware of gluten free and other allergies and baked fresh bread from displayed packet mixes, had a gluten free area at the buffet and also made a gluten, egg and diary free birthday cake with whipped and toasted cocnut cream icing at SIls request.

However both MIL and grandkids are not ana and don't face a life and death situation to trace.

BTW Denerau is nothing to write home about. There's much nicer places in Australia.

Kiwi Bicycle

Oh and I stayed at Hideaway 16 years ago. It's not near any other resturants or resorts, so you end up having to eat at the hotel all the time. It also didn't have any options for self catering.

MummaBlossom

Thanks for your replies. We didn't select the destination, my very generous parents offered for us to join them on a trip they are taking. I did ask about doing the cooking myself but the rooms don't have kitchens. It is a lovely offer but we will go with my initial thoughts and decline!

Has anyone traveled internationally with a child with anaphylaxis? It's a very scary thought for me...but even eating out in our own suburb makes me nervous!!!

beccaj

MummaBlossom there are some great threads on travelling with ANA that includes airline choices etc. I travel with my DD ana to nuts a lot. Our first international trip was Vietnam with her. Its a nervous time but it gets easier each trip

MummaBlossom

Thanks beccaj, I'll check out those threads before we make any plans.

babybug15

I used to live in Suva and had no issue with nut allergy or dairy intollerance- but that's very different to anaphylaxis. The private hospital in Suva is of a very high standard, but it will be a significant distance from the resort should anything go wrong.

aluminium

Has anyone traveled internationally with a child with anaphylaxis? It's a very scary thought for me...but even eating out in our own suburb makes me nervous!!!

Understandable reaction, I feel.

We took our ANA to cashews, peanuts and soy kiddo to the USA/Canada this year and was amazed at how allergy-aware and helpful restaurants were. We were only declined service in one restaurant and that was because they smoked their meat in roasted almond and that seemed fair enough.

We found with the airlines it was harder to guarantee food safety, although our flights with United had everything properly labelled.

I recently travelled to Bali without my ANA kid, and while they were allergy-aware, it wasn't enough to guarantee her safety and we wont take her anywhere like that.