ERipley

Sick 2.5 year old.

ERipley

There’s a nasty cough going around at the moment. I had it over the last week and it kept me awake all night. Now my daughter seems to have it but she has other symptoms too.

Yesterday her tummy was hurting her, just above her belly button. It was enough to make a usually boisterous girl sit down for cuddles most of the afternoon. She was better in the evening, ate a little bit then went to bed.

This morning she was ok except for a sniffle and cough, but by mid-morning she was complaining a lot about her tummy again and quite lethargic. I took her to the GP and he said her chest sounds clear so not to worry about pneumonia at the moment, give her medicine if she has a fever and watch to see if she gets too lethargic, as in if she isn’t perking up after medicine.

She was fine when we got home and said her tummy was better. A few hours later it started hurting again. She said her chest hurt when she coughed. I couldn’t get her to take medicine all afternoon and her fever got up to 39.2. She had a few mouthfuls of soup for dinner. She drank her milk with nurofen at bed time. Now she’s asleep in bed but her cough wakes her and seems to hurt her chest. She was crying about her sore tummy before bed.

I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has had something similar? I just worry that as her chest and tummy get worse the Dr could have missed something? He said about 10% of people get a stomach ache when they have a chest infection and that’s what’s probably causing the problem.

Wonderstruck

Could the sore tummy be from coughing?

Also panadol suppositories can be a godsend when they wont take medicine orally.

Could you call health direct for advice?

ERipley

Could the sore tummy be from coughing?

Also panadol suppositories can be a godsend when they wont take medicine orally.

Could you call health direct for advice?

It’s sore all the time, not just when she’s coughing so I don’t think it’s that. She’s definitely grabbing her chest when she coughs and rubbing her tummy other times.

I will call the nurse on call if anything changes. She’s sleeping now and her breath is faster than her twin sister’s but not too fast I think. She’s making a kind of snoring sound when she breathes but I guess this isn’t hugely unusual for someone with a bad cold. I think they would just tell me it’s find if the Dr said so?

I didn’t know that about suppositories. I will definitely keep it in mind.

GingerbreadWoman

Not a dr or nurse... but I have actually injured/strained muscles in the stomach area from bad coughing before. The muscles then hurt all the time, and more with movement, not just when you cough, so it could be that her tummy is sore from all the coughing.

Hopefully she has a big sleep and feels a bit better in the morning.

• Like 1

PandoBox

I just came back from the doctor with the same symptoms as your DD.

I told him I had bad cough, sore throat and that my stomach has been hurting...especially last night..which I thought was weird and unrelated. He explained that when your body has a virus the virus can move around the body and cause a wide range of symptoms including a tummy ache. I have heard that this is actually very common with children as well as nausea and loose stools.

I would focus on keeping her fever under control over night as well as keeping her comfortable with pain medicine. Warm Milk with honey can be soothing for a cough over night and help her fall asleep.

If you can't bring the fever down with medicine (lower then 39+), go to the emergency room.

If she wakes up and has a very sore tummy(crying) despite the pain relief and a fever that isn't going down with panadol id consider emergency room for that as well.

Edited by PandoBox

NastyGal

Disclaimer: not a medical professional in any sense, but GPs have told me in the past when taking my kids in for sore tummies that it's due to swollen abodominal lymph nodes from other infections/viruses, in your case your DD's cough and sniffles etc.

As you said, though, a call to nurses on call can't hurt if you're unsure...

• Like 2

ERipley

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. Her fever has come down and she’s at 37C. Her breathing is a bit harsher than I’d like but hopefully still ok. She just threw up a little bit I think it’s just phlegm. I’m holding her upright against me to sleep. Hopefully that will help a bit.

Thanks for the help. Its just nice to have that reassurance.

PrincessPeach

I'm not medically trained, but my 3 year old is asthmatic, so coughs are depressingly common in this house.

My 3 year old often complains of a sore tummy with his coughing, but when you get down to it, it's actually his chest that hurts. According to our peadiatrician, that is not uncommon in this age group. Not saying that this is the case, but it's something to file away.

I'd be more worried about her temperature though, 39 is high & if it's not going down with a combination of panadol & nurofen, then I'd be calling the home dr's.

Edited cause I saw your update: Keep her as upright as possible (prop up the end of her bed) she sounds really snuffled poor thing.

Edited by PrincessPeach

Chelli

Hi OP,

My suggestion would be to contact the Health Direct line on 1800 022 222 and speak to a nurse there. I have always found them to be really reassuring.

The website for Health Direct also has a symptom checker which you may find useful.

Good luck, and I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

ETA

I have needed to edit your title as it was directly asking for advice from a medical professional which we do not allow on the forums.

ERipley

Just a quick update. She woke a fair bit overnight but we got through. This morning she was miserable with her fever so I took her to another GP. The GP was really thorough and reiterated what the other GP said. She was really understanding about me wanting to check again so talked me through everything. It is just a bad cough with a fever and if this girl would just take nurofen or Panadol she would feel ok. As it is she’s stuck to me like glue and hot and miserable but she will be ok in a day or two. Suppositories are on the way.

Thanks for helping me out last night. It’s nice to know people are around to talk things through when you’re having a tough time.

• Like 1

ERipley

I just came back from the doctor with the same symptoms as your DD.

I told him I had bad cough, sore throat and that my stomach has been hurting...especially last night..which I thought was weird and unrelated. He explained that when your body has a virus the virus can move around the body and cause a wide range of symptoms including a tummy ache. I have heard that this is actually very common with children as well as nausea and loose stools.

I would focus on keeping her fever under control over night as well as keeping her comfortable with pain medicine. Warm Milk with honey can be soothing for a cough over night and help her fall asleep.

If you can't bring the fever down with medicine (lower then 39+), go to the emergency room.

If she wakes up and has a very sore tummy(crying) despite the pain relief and a fever that isn't going down with panadol id consider emergency room for that as well.

Are you in Melbourne? My GP said he’s seen a lot of this virus lately. The other GP said today we have lymph nodes in our gut that get swollen just the way the ones in our necks do. Apparently children are more sensitive to this so often get a tummy ache with a cold.