Sign in to follow this  
ERipley

How bad was your child’s 6yo molar pain?

ERipley

My son has been dealing with this for a few weeks now. The last week he has been waking at night in pain, crying for nurofen. It’s so bad tonight he’s crying and asking when the tooth will come through. I have no idea! A quick look at the internet said a few days but it has been longer than that.

I will arrange a dental appointment for him but until then can anyone offer and advice or share experiences?

EsmeLennox

It seems unusual. I don’t recall my kids having any issue with 6 year old molars. Good idea to get it checked.

• Like 1

HippyDippyBaloney

I don’t think my son was even aware when his molars came through. Your poor boy, I hope you find answers soon.

• Like 1

Paddlepop

Teething was hell when my DD was a baby. She feels dental pain quite acutely. She had some pain for her 6yo molars but nothing like you're describing. For a few days she felt pain when chewing on a hard food like raw carrot, and sometimes needed a smear of teething gel to help her cope at mealtimes. Teeth brushing had to be a bit more gentle around the tooth while it was coming through. She's 9yo now and sometimes has needed a dose of pain relief to cope with sore teeth as they've become loose or have been growing through but nothing that's interfered with sleep or made her cry.

I'd definitely be getting your DS checked out to make sure he doesn't have an infection. Perhaps get him to swish some warm salty water or some mouthwash around in his mouth to help with any infection while you wait for the dental appointment? Also, it might be referred pain that he's feeling from any recent sinus infections/colds or ear infections. Perhaps take him to the GP and get his ears and sinuses checked out.

bluesilk

I would get it checked out. That sounds really bad, poor thing. My son didn't even notice when his came through, so I feel like that amount of pain is unusual.

ERipley

Thanks everyone. He seems fine in the day. Maybe something to do with how he’s lying down. He is sick at the moment too which can’t be helping. Plus he’s very sensitive. We will go get it checked out.

Amica

I've had 3 kids pass the age of 6 and molar pain wasn't even a thing. I hope he is ok. Might warrant a trip to the dentist.

*BellBird*

My 6 yo eat old got hers recently & she was sore, when eating & when not busy with something else. She did need Panadol to sleep for about 4 nights to sleep with each one. Those buggers are sharp!

ETA - can you or he feel them? We could feel hers under the gum for a while before they came through. Rubbing them with bonjela seemed to help her a bit.

Edited by *BellBird*

BornToLove

DD has had terrible teething as a baby and again with the 6 year molars. For some reason, her teeth have all come up, not quite broken through, and gone back down. Rinse and repeat a few times for each tooth before finally popping out.

Anyways, DD did complain a fair bit with those larger 6 year molars. At night I gave neurofen, during the day I let DD have a home made icey pole or frozen yogurt to help with inflammation and some of the pain.

DD did see a dentist around the time of those molars, but their only advice was that some kids just have back luck and trouble coping with the pain more than others.

Soontobegran

None x 5 times.

They all got their molars without any of us knowing.

None of them were too perturbed by teething in general though.

NeedSleepNow

DD1 had pain with a couple of her 6 year molars, and one did get infected. We mostly just used pain relief and SM33 gel!

Team Awesome

My kids got bratty before I realised what it was unless they had an underlying ear or sinus thing (which i’ve even had issues with when my wisdom teeth were coming through)

I’m glad you’re going to get him checked out. Good luck.

Kreme

I didn’t even know my kids had got their 6yo molars until the dentist pointed it out.

12yo molars were slightly uncomfortable for a day or so.

Then again my kids didn’t have issues with teething as babies either.

lozoodle

Poor kid, that does sound unusual. My 6 yo is cutting hers right now I just asked if they hurt she said no. The others didn't notice theirs coming either.

Teething discomfort was never really a thing in our house though.

petal71

DS had his come through few weeks ago and definitely sore, but not to wake him up. Teething gel really helped.

ERipley

DD has had terrible teething as a baby and again with the 6 year molars. For some reason, her teeth have all come up, not quite broken through, and gone back down. Rinse and repeat a few times for each tooth before finally popping out.

Anyways, DD did complain a fair bit with those larger 6 year molars. At night I gave neurofen, during the day I let DD have a home made icey pole or frozen yogurt to help with inflammation and some of the pain.

DD did see a dentist around the time of those molars, but their only advice was that some kids just have back luck and trouble coping with the pain more than others.

This sounds familiar. It seems to get bad then stop then get bad again. It’s the worst it has been right now. A lot of time rubbing and moving his jaw through the day today. I can feel it but it isn’t to the point it’s pushing through yet. I will pick him up some bonjela tomorrow while we wait for an appointment.

Ellie bean

Sm33 gel tends to do more for pain that bonjela

Fizgig

I didn’t realise DD was getting hers (had totally forgotten about six year old molars, plus she was only 5) but she had been complaining of sore ears on and off for a couple of weeks. Just happened to have a dentist appointment that week and she mentioned that two of them were through and then I made the connection to the ear pain. No pain at night and a dose of Nurofen had her back to her old self.

SplashingRainbows

I had a kid with bad teething pain - as a baby/toddler and also for his molars. He wasn’t as bad as you describe though OP.

Broken sleep and a bit ratty. Definitely needed neurofen for a few nights.

Hope your little guy is through it soon.